1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMV files cause explorer crash

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by alphaex32, May 1, 2005.

1. alphaex32

alphaex32 Member

Very wierd- everytime I select a wmv file in explorer, it causes explorer to crash. I have disabled the common tasks sidebar, and I still have the problem. I can actually play any wmv file by opening it directly from a media player, but in explorer I still get crashes. Also, I am sure it is not just a defective video file becausea all wmv's do it.

As for codecs, I immediately uninstalled my codec packs thinking that would solve it (I had k-lite pack and some of Nimo pack installed). Well, even that didn't solve the problem. I decided to try getting rid of as many codecs as possible, so I used Codec Sniper to delete any codec that did not appear to be windows standard or was affiliated with WMV decoding. Nope...still not working.

My last hope was to unistall and reinstall windows media play, wmv codecs, and windows xp sp2, but I still get crashes!

Please help. This is ridiculous and frustrating.

2. alphaex32

alphaex32 Member

Im still struggling with this problem. Reformatting is not an option for me.

3. kotsu

kotsu Guest

I have the same problem, if I open a folder with video files in it, windows explorer will crash soon after, especially if I open one, or rename it. This also affects Directory Opus if I right click on a file, it will crash immediately, although the problem does not affect Windows Commander.

4. pafufnik

pafufnik Member

I'm suffering from the same problem. When I play a wmv file using either the windows media player or using hte cyberlinke powerdvd - the computer crashes.

When I report this "a major failure" or something like that to Microsoft - they reply that it is a "driver" issue.

Anybody have any input here?
    Thanks.

5. Archimage

Archimage Member

I'm not an expert, so this is just a wild guess... It might crash when explorer tries to preview the file, so try to disable web content in folders. You can do that by going to My computer, then Tools, Folder Options, and select "Use Windows Classic Folders". Hope that this helps. Let me know if this works or not.

6. alphaex32

alphaex32 Member

i've tried that. It even occurs when I click wmv files on the desktop, so it shouldnt have anything to do with the preview.

7. Smaug82

Smaug82 Member

Have you installed som new drivers lately?

I´m not sure but I have a feeling the latest drivers from Nvidia are creating som troubles...

that was the solution in my case but it was different from your problem

/S

8. pafufnik

pafufnik Member

Plausits to Smaug82. Nice work.
    Indeed - it solved the problem.
    ... now why didn't I think of that?
    pafufnik

9. Smaug82

Smaug82 Member

The real question is how come a lowlife amateur like me thought off that

Now lets send a bombthreat to Nvidia

;o)

Regards
    /Smaug

10. alphaex32

alphaex32 Member

I've got an ATI card. I'll update my drivers anyway.