1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't read my blank disc... Please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jadowa, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jadowa

jadowa Member

I will try to give all the information I can...

I purchased and installed a Pacific Digital CD/DVD+RW

I purchased a commercial copy of DVD XCopy Xpress (this was in March of 2003 so it is the version that should work)

I open DVD Xcopy Xpress and it says put a DVD movie in the drive and click start. I click start and it reads the movie. It then says put in blank disc and click start. I put in a Verbatim DVD-R blank disc (bought commercially at Sam's Club) and DVD Xcopy does not read it... It basically does not react to a disc being in there.

I tried to play the DVD movie and have no problem playing it. I also can read and copy to a CD.

When I put the blank disc in the drive and go to "My Computer" and click properties on that drive, it does not read a disc being in there. I tried that with a CD, a Blank CD, and a DVD and it reads all three.

I tried about 5 or 6 different verbatim discs, 1 verbatim disc from a different package, and one other brand that I cannot remember with the same results.

I have had this problem for nearly two years and have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I basically gave up a year ago, but since I am off work this week I thought I would give it a try. I found this great site and hope someone may be able to help.

Please note that I am not very literate when it comes to the inside workings of computers and devices so if your answer contains something very technical, please explain the best you can.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Jason

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

So basically the PC doesn't recognize a blank DVD.
    Two suggestions:
    1) borrow some blank DVDs of different brands and see if your PC can read any of them.
    2) if you have Nero (download a trial version if you don't), click 'get system info', 'test drive' and 'disc info' to see if everything is in order.
    Do let us know the results. I'm sure more people would then be willing to help.

3. colw

colw Active member

X Copy is dead and no longer supported.

Suggest you should try DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (free).

Guides and software available from this site - move mouse pointer to top of page and click on appropriate buttons.