1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this setup run hi-definition mkv files?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Vitter, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Vitter

Vitter Member

Would the following setup run hi-definition mkv files without any fps drop or lip sync problems?

AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+ (Orleans)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500GT 512MB 128BIT DDR2 (DirectX 10) PCI-E 16x
    1GB RAM DDR2
    I have Windows XP Pro already. Should I buy Vista? If so, which version?

I want to watch huge mkv movies that contain h.264 encoded material. MediaInfo reports that the video bitrate of such a file is 14Mbits/s.

I can't watch it right now with my current setup, as my video card cannot decode h.264 on its hardware. The fps drop is dramatic. It's not watchable.

It will be whole new investment (new mobo, new video card) so I wanna be sure before buying anything.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I am not too familiar with AMD processors but that's a HT single core CPU right?

I can't say for sure that it wont run HD video smoothly but a dual core processor definitely will.

The GPU you mentioned should be fine.

I would throw in an extra 1gb of RAM and all should be good! :-D

In regards to Vista, there are mixed reports at the moment. While it appeals brilliantly on an aesthetic level, it seems somewhat crippled and overloaded with security mechanisms. If you do go for Vista the Home Premium edition includes a Media Center component which is handy if you are going to throw in a Digital TV tuner, and store various media on your HDD.

3. grimpuffa

grimpuffa Member

I have a semphron 2800,2gb ram n a onboard video card.It plays mkv's fine, every now n then lipsync would be off a little.Wondering if i bought a card would that improve??
    and any recommendations for a cheap video card ?