1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW......that's alot of processes

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Hotivonn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Hotivonn

Hotivonn Member

Hi there. My question is, when i open up the Task Manager and select Processes, there are alot of them, now i don't know if you need all of them. Do I need all of these processes running all at the same time and is there any to determine what some of them are?

I am running win xp sp2 (don't know what kind of information you need

thanx for reading

2. onya

onya Guest

As far as I'm aware, each time we install a program, some of them include themselves in the startup menu. This may have a slowing down effect on some systems. To this end, we can deselect those that we don't need running in the background. #WARNING# Please note, that if you deselect any process that your system needs incorrectly, then you are in for some headaches. Not to say these actions cannot be undone, but may be tricky to get back to.

On my system, I noticed that a program named AutoCAD was selected. Unchecking this(and others i knew) had no ill effects. If you know what it is, then you should be ok. Here's how.

START----> RUN----> type in msconfig then you should get this open window.
    Select selective start up

[​IMG]

Select the Startup tab.

[​IMG]

Here are the current programs, drivers and other applications, that are used at startup. You will have to do a restart for your choices to take effect. TAKE NOTE HOW YOUR CHOICES HAVE INFLUENCED THE RESTART. Good luck.

Cheers.