1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

writer error[hardware error(logical unit communication crc error(ultra-dma/32))]

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sorensen, Nov 29, 2005.

1. sorensen

sorensen Member

hi, i had been using deepburner to back up dvd's for a while with no hassle, then in the last week i started getting this error : writer error[hardware error(logical unit communication crc error(ultra-dma/32))] ...tried burning from another comp as i have an external dvd burner (nec 3450a) and it worked for the first 2 discs but has started throwing back the same error again now and will not work on either computers now. can anyone help please?
    i have heard several suggestions that its bad media but that does not explain why i did not have any problems burning discs until now(using the exact same media all the time)

also im using the newest version of deepburner free and the operating systems were win xp pro on the first comp and win 2000 on second comp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    scotterson

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Is this blowing up on the "read" portion or the burn portion? Are you using AnyDVD? Are you backing up commercial DVDs? Are the titles new? What brand of media are you using. Does Deepburner generate a burn log? If so, post it omitting your name and any serial number. Have you tried DVD Shrink (free) and AnyDVD (free trial)? Is it blowing up at the same spot for every backup? What target size do you have set for the disk: DVD5, Custom?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. sorensen

sorensen Member

its happening during the burn process and destroying the disc then.what happens is i back up the dvd as an iso image using dvd shrink on another external drive that i have and then burn using deepburner as you need to have nero installed in order to burn with dvd shrink. it doesnt always happen in the same spot but generally its happened around the 10 minute mark but has happened as late as 1 hr(burning at 1x) and as early as 30 seconds. deepburner does not generate a burn log,just puts up the error that i posted in the original thread. it is movies that im backing up but the latest movie that i wanted to back up was a movie of my photographs from a holiday that i made through pro show producer.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I would use DVD Deccypter or ImgBurn for burning the Shrink generated iso file. DVD Decrypter is harder to come by for downloads now but can be used by Shrink as well for burning directly from Shrink. Are you using a USB1 port with your external burner? Results will be iffy if you're doing so. You can buy a USB2 PCMCIA card and use that with much better results. The target size in Shrink should be set to "Custom" and a size of 4350 entered in the box.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/imgburn.cfm

Sometimes external burner enclosures become wonky. What external enclosure are you using?

5. sorensen

sorensen Member

i have downloaded imgburn and have started that off burning an img. so hopefully that might work.there is no brand name for the external enclosure,its just a generic one that came with the burner when i bought it from ebay about 8 months ago or so,the model code is PM-525U2-PRB but i doubt that will tell you very much. its a usb 2 connection but the laptop im actually connecting it to is only usb1 i think. only using that though as i initially had the problem with my desktop pc that has the 2 usb2 ports. hopefully the imgburn software will sort this problem,as i did notice one thing when i put in the blank disc that in the right hand window(disc info stuff) it said burn speed compatability was 2x, 4x and 8x but i had been trying to burn at 1x with deepburner,dont know if this would make any difference but perhaps it might?

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

That enclosure is a Plumax and imho Plumax are the best. Seriously, buy a PCMCIA USB2, Firewire, or combo card for your laptop. It makes all the difference in speed and throughput. I'm sure your lappy must have a type II PCMCIA slot. They can be had for $20US or less if you search. I don't know where you live so it's hard for me to point you in any particular direction. With a USB1 port you won't get much better than 1X speed no matter what speed you select. Are you using decent quality media?

Here's a list of PCMCIA cards at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

7. sorensen

sorensen Member

i tried using imgburn last nite and it worked at 2x,thanks a mill for all your help :eek:)

8. sorensen

sorensen Member

one more thing actually,, would be interested in getting one of those usb2 pcmcia cards but just wondering if its possible to get one that also has a network adaptor in it that i can have my laptop connected to the internet and my desktop pc(i have them networked) also at the same time or would they be totally different cards that i would need to eject one before putting the other one in?

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You can have both if you have 2 PCMCIA slots which many older laptops do. They do make combo PCMCIA cards but usually USB2/Firewire. I haven't run across a network/USB2 combo card but one could exist I suppose. Swapping out cards really isn't a problem either as I doubt you'd need to be on the internet when backing up disks.