1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong track lengths on MPEG2's burned on VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lwhitman, Sep 7, 2002.

1. lwhitman

lwhitman Member

I'm using the TMPEGenc "header trick" to put mpeg1 headers on my mpeg2 SVCD files so they'll play in my Panasonic DVD player. I'm burning the SVCD files using a VCD template in Nero (ignoring the warnings). The track lengths on the files are correct until Nero burns them onto the VCD. But the resulting .dat files on the VCD report the wrong track lengths (too long) both on my DVD player on my pc (using a software player). Note that the files all play fine.

I think Nero makes a .dat header with the wrong track length because it assumes the bit rate is for VCD. Does anyone know how to get around this problem? Maybe by burning the VCD image with another application or by editing the image file before burning it to a CDR?

-ljw

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This seems to happen a lot with nero. I tried the same thing a while back and I got a 48:15 reading for a 5:40 movie. Its usually ok (unless your stand alone dvd player plays by the second) If your dvd players reads your cd as vcd and then realises that your bit rate is 2520 (or whatever) instead of 1150 then it will more than likely get the time wrong

3. lwhitman

lwhitman Member

Nero must calculate the length from the data rate and the mpeg header. I even tried burning an SVCD with one of the mpeg2-with-mpeg1-header files to see if it was just the VCD format. But the mpg file put on the SVCD still had the wrong track length. Oh well. It doesn't seem to cause any problems with my DVD player, just bothers me (but not enough to buy another DVD player). Thanks for the (only) reply.