1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X box light turns red but wont start up but not modded!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by stew330i, Sep 5, 2004.

1. stew330i

stew330i Member

My friend is giving me his X-box due to the fact it wont start up he says he pushes the button and the light turns red but not green and the screen stays black. The thing is the Xbox is not modded but I have intention to mod it so I think its a possible hardware issue. Anyone have any suggestions???

2. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

This could be a bad sign. If the xbox is not modded and it shows a red light instead of green during its boot-up seqeunce then it means that the system is overheating. Either the fans are not working or there is bad ventilation inside of it. My advice, is to open the xbox up. Take a look inside, if the fan is dead, replace it with a another fan radioshack or something. ( CPU fan i would recommend) Doesnt matter how you place it, ontop of the cpu, inplace of the main big black fan. As long as the cpu is getting proper ventilation, it should work. If not, then that means something has been damaged due to it being overheated.

3. stew330i

stew330i Member

Ok so if it is the fan if I replace the motherboard and Hard drive like I intended to will it take care of the problem?

4. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Only if those are the componets damaged by the overheating. Once again, i would advise you to open the xbox and see what is actually happened.

p.s: if your xbox is open with the power on, be extemely carefull of the open power supply.