1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox discs

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by mrgooey, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

I'm new at this to hard mod Xbox thing. I got a backup iso and I was hoping to burn it on a dvd-r. I have a Fujifilm DVD-R and I burn it the iso file. However,it couldn't start. When, I use my CD-R it works fine. I was wondering what dvd disc that can be read with my xbox. Thx.

2. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

different drives read different media

3. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

Then, how do I know what my hard drive is using.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Fuji are generally pretty bad.. try something like ritex or verbs..

There are 3 brands of dvd drive fitted to an xbox (4 counting the very rare hitachi..only western pacific as far as I can tell..(australia/japan)
    Of these main 3 there are 2 versions of the Samsung, 605B and 605F, they have 2 holes in the tray...the 605B will play cd-r fine, the 605F doesn;t want to know.
    Thomson..small slot in the tray..like as in narrow.. no cd-r at all UNLESS you don't finalise/fixate it (bet nobody knew that eh?) and then that depends on the brand.
    Philips.. wide slot.. 2 types, will play some cd-r seemingly at random..some drives will..some won't, but they will play cd-rw which the thomson won't.
    The best way to find out what drive you have is to open up the xbox and read the label..

As for disks.. I swear by mid quality ritek dvd-r 8X burned at 4.. don't go down the dvd+r route unless you want lots of headaches.

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had a thomson drive and i could use cd-rs for backgrounds just not games maybe its cause i didnt finalise them,cdrws usually work if cds dont.

6. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

thx for the reply.. my xbox dvd drive is a Samsung 605B. Does Maxwell DVD-R works ?

7. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

its a cheaper brand but it might work

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Philips and even some Sony would be a better choice. Cheap discs (not price but quality) are usually not your best choice. And most retail stores only carry cheaper media.
    You best bet is to find a good online store that delivers to your area and use it, like supermediastore.com in the USA

8X DVD-R is what i have used for all mine
    Avoid white top printable discs as they are generally not that great.