1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox heat sheild

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Spyder22, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

is it ok to remove the big metal heat sheild that is on the top part of the xbox, or will it overheat?

also does any1 know the temp.'s that the CPU, GPU, and HDD are spost to be at during normal use? are there any other components or parts that i should be woried about the temp. THANX

2. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Yeah removing that piece is a bad idea. Why would you wanna do that anyway?

3. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

ok i have the x3 and i use xbmc (xbox media center) with my xbox. with xbmc it lets you override the fan speed and it also let you enable auto temp, which makes it so the fan will speed up and slow down compared to the heat you have it set at. i have my xbox set at about 55 to 60 degrees F. or if you are a major gamer and are playin alot and leave your xbox on i would just override the seep of the fan and leave it at about 75 to 85% speed. maybe higher depending on how long you play and leave your xbox on. the heat sheild on the top of the xbox is a good thing because it helps take the heat off of the hdd, cpu, gpu, ex.. one more thing, if you are going to use the fan override i would sugest taking wire cuters and cuting the metal that is like a mesh type stuff thats infront of the fan, this help the airflow alot faster out of the xbox and makes it so that it wont over heat as often. some other stuff you can get if you are afraid of over heating are the side pannel cooling fans which i think you can pick up at this site here.
    http://shop.system-mods.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=81
    well i hope i was some help,
    pacman33

4. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

thanks for the help

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  5. punqewe

punqewe Active member

take it out,it does very little if anything towards cooling.

6. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

then whats the propose of putting it in there?? does it do any thing else besides keep heat off the top?

7. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

omg you guys its making it so that the plastic doesnt hold the heat in. did you know black plastic colects heat and doesnt let it out as easy as other materials. if you take the heat sheild off then it will over heat. its like puting a animal in a black bag with very little air, it will over heat and die because of the heat. and the xbox is the same way, it has very little air flow and you want the sheild there.

8. punqewe

punqewe Active member

screw that,it will not overheat without the metal shield. I haven't had mione in since the day I got it in 2002 and I haven't seen it go over 50 degrees celcius. (the xbox overheats and shuts down at 72 degrees celcius as a safety feature)

END OF LINE

9. modster

modster Regular member

yank the darn thing out; if you are concerned with overheating, then just add an extra fan using the 5v from the fourth port.

beauty eh? cheers