1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox or PS2 as a DVD/DIvX Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rockykab, Mar 16, 2004.

1. rockykab

rockykab Member

Dear all,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I make any common mistakes ;)

Currently, I've got a PS2 and recently got it modified so that I can view DivX films. However, I found that some of the films were choppy (most likely due to their higher bitrate).

Now, for DivX and DVD films, I'm thinking of buying a modified XBox. Do any of you guys know whether the (especially higher bitrate) DivX films are displayed more smoothly (as the XBox is supposedly a more powerful machine)?

Or is it the PS2 DivX Player's software inefficiency?

Finally, is the DVD quality output better than that of the PS2?

2. Woz

Woz Regular member

I would have to say that I am unsure, I own a modded ps2 and watch the DIVX films on there, however I haven't had any "choppy" moments of late. My friend swears by his xbox media player, he said he has never had any problems. You just gotta make sure you have the most up to date media player, i.e. 4 codecs etc.

Though I must point out that this post should be in the XBOX or PS2 discussion room.

Woz

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I have a modded PS2 (Silver v10 w/ DMS3) & play divx/xvid movies thru PS2 Reality Media Player 1.50 ... absolutely no problems at all.
    Couldnt mention on X-Box as I dont have one , no plans either : )

PSX will come down in price soon enough & that is DVR capable [a true all in one unit then] !: ]-~

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

P.S
    My PS2 has progressive scan facility ;-)