1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox to home theatre

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by spike24, Jan 12, 2011.

1. spike24

spike24 Regular member

hi guys i have a samsung 3d tv and a samsung home theatre system and a virgin media hd cable box,i get all my sound through my home cinema,i hooked my xbox up which is the new black slimline one but i get no sound through the home cinema and i carnt get the sound through th tv as i have turned of tv speakers and set it to external speakers which is home cinema,how do i get round this,oh i use an optical cable from tv to home cinema thanks

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

have you tried a 3.5 mm jack from head phone input on tv to home cinema? turn your head phone setting up on tv. i know its not as good as optical but thats the way i get mine working. ps im no expert on this so wait and see what other ppl say

3. spike24

spike24 Regular member

Hi no I haven't tried that didn't know about it but will take a look,just didn't expect it to be such a problem to begin with. Thanks

4. JVC

JVC Active member

The optical output of the tv is for use only with the internal tuner, for 5.1 surround sound from your local HD channels, while using an antenna. It's not for a piggy back connection like you're trying to do. A tv that will pass audio that way at all, will down mix the 5.1 signal to 2.0, so the best you'll get is Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround).

You need to run an optical cable from the xbox, straight to the surround receiver. Make sure the audio output for the xbox is set to "Bitstream", and not PCM. You may need to assign the input you plug the optical cable into, to the xbox. The manual should explain how to assign the input.

5. spike24

spike24 Regular member

So does that mean I won't be able to use my home cinema then for sound at all,the guys at samsung told me to do it this way,just didn't ask them about xbox at the time,on my 37" i used red and White audio leads from home cinema to tv and was able to use home cinema for all sound including xbox but samsung tell me u carnt do it that way anymore with the newer tv,

6. JVC

JVC Active member

You should be able to use the home cinema for the sound. You just need to run everything straight to it, for audio, instead of through the tv first. Like I said, if the tv will pass audio that way, it will be in stereo (99% of the time), which means you'll get simulated surround. There have been a couple of models of tvs that will pass 5.1 surround that way, but most won't. Maybe your's is one that will. It should say in the tv's owner's manual.

It sounds like you have an HTIB (home theater in a box), all in one system? If so, you may not have enough inputs to plug everything into it. Then you'll need something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2 People say these work good, but I, personally, have never needed one.

7. spike24

spike24 Regular member

Hi guys I sorted it,the optical cable was connected to the virgin media box and tv so I took it from the vm box and put it into the home cinema and I now get the xbox sound through my home cinema too,thanks for all the comments

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

nice one