1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox vrs pc

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by damo_red, Nov 24, 2003.

1. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi can any one please tell me how halo looks so good on the pc. i have the game for the xbox and the graphics are ace but the game is on a dvd how the hell does halo look so good on the pc when its on a cd there is a great differnce of space between the disks.
    is there some way they compress the games. im wondering because im deciding wether to get max payne 2 for the pc or the xbox.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

What are your PC specs? It is more likely that your PC puts the xbox Pentium 3 733 with 8Gb hard drive to shame. Also the video card on the Xbox is not the best. Thus why Xbox2 will be with in a year to impove the situation. PC's still kill console systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2003
  3. damo_red

damo_red Member

amd athlon 2400 Xp
    nividia gforce 4 128mb
    512 ddr ram

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunatle for consolers, (a) almost all console technology is a hand-my-down from the PC world and (b) your video is still limited to a TV :p ... a low resolution one at that :p

5. damo_red

damo_red Member

so would i be best getting max payne 2 on the pc or xbox

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

To actually answer your question. I would buy it for the PC. That makes it more versitle and you can set what to see and what you want running to slow down game play. Rather than being pissed that your console can't handle the game to how you would want to see it.
    I don't own any console sytem. Well not fully true, I do own a Gameboy (one of the first ones) and a GameGear (Sega). But thats because Portable Computers really sucked in the 90's.

7. damo_red

damo_red Member

thanks very much ill get the pc version

8. mgb0101

mgb0101 Member

And Max Payne 2 is much easier to control using a keyboard and mouse. The game requires some fast\precise aiming, and using a console pad to do it would suck.

9. damo_red

damo_red Member

i was also wondering if any one could explain to me why pc games are on cd and console games are on dvd but just as good or even better. it seems a bit starnge to me or are the pc games actually on dvd disks.

10. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I guess PC games are compressed, and that's why they take less space. In the other hand you have to install the game before you play it. And usually console games don't use all the 4GB of a DVD.

About the PC - XBox, PC is better (without PCs there where not going to be PS2 or XBox, where will they make the games? :)
    Generally games for the consoles are coded better because they know the hardware they use exactly and they all play fine, when in PC I've seen a P4 3Ghz with 5900Ultra being slow while playing some new games with full detail!

Is you GeForce a real one, or an MX version? If it is MX I suggest you get Max Payne in the XBox!

11. damo_red

damo_red Member

yes its real would i need a better one for it though becuase that was a high spec computer there that you said wasent playing the game in full detail proparly.

12. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

My PC is P4 1,6GHz, 512MB RAM, and Geforce 4 Ti4200 . It plays OK at 1024x768 with all details at full.

But if you have Geforce4 MX it will not play that well.

How long do you have the XBox? You should had played Halo already, it rocks!
    About a new video card, a GeforceFX 5900 Ultra is about 400-500 Euro when the Xbox with 2 games included (and Halo one of them!) costs 200 Euro. You can make the comparison.

Actually Microsoft loses money each time someone buys an XBox!

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Microsoft used to lose money on every Xbox, but now the cost of P3 chips is so cheap that they are not lossing money. Right now at future shop or Dell you can get a P4 computer for $500 with monitor, printer, ete. So the first release of Xbox when P4 were coming out, they were loosing money. But now that P4 are a thing of the past and people are buying 800Mhz Front side bus, the cost is really cheap. I would say that the PC is still better, because you can put as much or as little money in the sytem as you want. For slightly better specs than the Xbox, a PC its cheaper and can be used for more than just games.

14. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not everyone needs a GFX5900U ... although I may be lucky enough to acquire one in the short time coming :p

Second that! :)

15. damo_red

damo_red Member

which one do you suggest

ASUS GE-FORCE "FX5900 ,"128MB", DDR,MOD-V9950SE.TD/P/128M/A,RETAIL BOXED. £245.00

SPARKLE GE-FORCE FX 5900, 128MB, PLATINUM,IN LARGE TIN,SP8835PT128,RETAIL BOXED £299.00

16. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I would suggest you get the XBOX one. It was orginally made for the PC, but it came out on XBOX first due to MS's $$$$. I think the game is suited more to a console than the PC.

But, computers don't have 61 inch screens do they??? :p

17. djoner

djoner Guest

if you got a 61 inch screen,chances are you can hook up your computer via dvi to it,so yes

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Also A computer you can connect a projector to and have a 300 inch sceen. Its fun walking down the streets of Tronto and see the people that display games and movies on the side of buildings at night.

19. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I am about to get an ATI Radeon 9600pro, and it is true that a 5900Ultra is not needed.

What I wanted to say is that Xbox is VERY cheap.

A PC with slightly better specs than Xbox is not cheaper than Xbox, Xbox is 200Euro people!!
    And of course a PC with that specs cannot play any game of the past year.

What I said, and I think that you will agree, is that if all that you want to do is play video games then get an Xbox or PS2.

20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well in Canada the cheapes I have seen a Xbox for is about $250 plus or minus 20 depending on store. An xbox is a P3 733 (intel chip) with 8Gb hard disk and DVD drive. The only thing going for it is the custum video card.
    Now I saw this weekend a P3 1.2Ghz, 40Gb hard drive, 256Mb Ram, DVD-rom comupter for $249 at Computer Fest in Tonto. Now there was no monitor, but all the specs when compared directly to the xbox were better. I cant remeber what video card was on it, but it wasnt crap. So I still stand by what I say. Cheaper and better specs.