1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVID pixelation, HELP!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by farmerjay, Jan 9, 2005.

1. farmerjay

farmerjay Member

Ok, I've been trying to solve this problem for a long time. Every movie I have that uses the Xvid codec plays fine but when there are dark colors in the movie there is a lot of pixelation and curves where you can see the shading go from dark to light and so on. I've already tried disabling ffdshow from decoding the xvid so that it would use the XVID codec on my system but it had no effect. I currently have the Tsunami filter pack and Koepi's XVID codec pack. I use Windows media player (classic and version 9), BS Player, DIVX player, etc. Oh yeah, one more thing, it will play (pixelated) in everything but DIVX. It won't even play in DIVX. If anyone can help with this problem or have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Please HELP!

2. infringer

infringer Member

Try uninstalling TSUNAMI and look for gordian knot codec pack... Download that and if that does not work then it is an issue of the source of the video being not so great:

Things to make note of Most 1CD rips of movies do not play as clearly on TV's Above 32" if using a set top divx player take this into consideration...

Many theater rips and such are pixelated as well because there encoded to such a small filesize and the source of the video is not so great as well... It might help if you described the size and duration of the video as well as the frame size when pixelation happens many times the result is from streatching a small video to a large screen you can tell the framesize by right clicking on the file in hitting properties. The other issue is encoding the file to a very small size if it is a movie you need to take into consideration the bit rate as I said before on bigger screens I would go with 2CD rips or better as for myself a 1CD rip plays fine...

Other things to consider is trying to run a smooth deinterlacing filter and rencoding your video...

The best quality video is not achived via download it is achived by your own hard work ripping and encoding the file yourself.

good luck

-infringer-

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if you're decoding using xvid. try upping the colour depth of your display.
    on my machine at least 24bit. 16 bit, you'll see pixellation.
    what you sees if there's not enough bitrate is called macroblocking. pixellation is when you resize.

if ffdshow use libavcodec instead of xvid1. the xvid1 is to tell ffdshow to use the xvid codec you install

4. farmerjay

farmerjay Member

THANK YOU SHIROH! That did the trick. I knew it had to be something simple that I was missing. I'm eternally grateful.

5. farmerjay

farmerjay Member

Now that that problem is solved, I have one more question. While playing a movie on my computer there are certain faint lines that can appear when there is motion on the screen. When it is a relatively still moment during the movie it is perfectly fine but if there is a lot of motion going on I can see these little blips of lines. Is this a refresh rate issue or do I just need a better video card. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.