1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another stupid noob question, media types

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Plazz, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Plazz

Plazz Member

Waiting for my first DVD burner to arrive (Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Model SOHW-832S) and have a basic question:

Reading thru forums it seems that DVD+R is slightly more technologically advanced but DVD-R sells more. Which is the best to start out with, basically gonna back up some movies etc. Also any links to noob dual burning info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. john179

john179 Active member

I have a lite-on drive and it seems to love the yellow datawrite/Ritek - disc's.I don't think you can go wrong with these with a Lite-on drive.The reason for the - media selling more is that it has a higher percentage of compatability with stand alone players at present.When it comes to re writable media for storing data i use + datawrite media i i believe + re writables are much better than - just my view.As for dual layer media iam waiting for the price to drop before using and alot of the suppliers in the UK must sense this from the consumer's as this is the answer i get from most when i enquire about dual layer.There is some guy's at AD who do use dual layer so someone may be able to give you more advise in this area.
    Thanks
    John179

3. thbrad

thbrad Member

Hello Plazz!
    I think you pose an excellent question (but then what do I know?). What is the difference between -R and +R?

The FAQ (Closed Post) says:
    Q: What's the difference between DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM?

A: DVD-RAM is useless, it doesn't work on (stand-alone) DVD players at all. DVD+R discs barely exist yet, DVD+RW discs are costly, DVD-R discs are extremely cheap and DVD-RW discs are moderate price. "Plus" drives can only burn DVD+R/RW discs and "minus" drives burn only DVD-R/RW discs. Both drives can read both standards. DVD+R and DVD-R can be burned only once, DVD+RW and DVD-RW can be used like CD-RWs -- formatted and burned again. DVD-R and DVD+RW discs have best compatibility with players.

This still doesn't tell stupid me what the difference is...I have used both successfully. The Media guy at my Staple Store says it depends on what player you are burning for: some play -R and some +R. He says most home players use -R but not all use +R.

Maybe a better question in my mind is: Why do they make both? Since they do, is the Staples gut right?

4. john179

john179 Active member

I think the answer lies in the amount of money to be had out of making media.They may be a different formatted meadia but they are suppose to do the same thing.Have a look at this link as this explains about the formats and different types of media.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

Hope this help's to give you an in sight
    Thanks
    John179

5. Plazz

Plazz Member

Lol, as a responsible noob I have been to that page already and even put together a nice lil glossary page for myself. But thanks for your help, sounds like I'll go +R for now (as long as they play in my dvd players)! I gotta think most newer DVD standalones can play both now?

6. john179

john179 Active member

Yep spot on i think most new one's do

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

8. Plazz

Plazz Member

Damn I'd say!

Thnx Neph

9. stubar

stubar Member

Hi guys