1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite authoring program?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Delgado69, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

SSIA. TIA for any suggestions.

2. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Nero Vision 4.

Without a doubt.

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

#1 TSUNAMI-MPEG DVD Author PRO
    #1a DVDLab Pro

4. ticctech

ticctech Member

I just obtained DVD lab pro and I love it... still tons of things to learn about it, but does everything that I want it to and then some!!!!

5. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Never tried DVD lab.

I think I will. What do you like about it?

6. ticctech

ticctech Member

Well like I said, I just got it so there is alot to learn about it. First off, it is a Menu creating program. It lets me import pictures and video to use as menu backgrounds... there is no limitations for that. It lets me create my own style of buttons or use default ones to creat links to different chapters and menu pages.... There are so many things about it that I cant list. I would definately recommend it!!!

7. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

DVDLab Pro - I can get that. Cool. Thanks for the info folks!

8. singjai

singjai Member

This is very close to the same exact question I wanted to ask. I'd like to know why this is your favorite program. That's only answered for one of these programs. And without knowing why, the recommendation doesn't mean a whole lot. Also, would anyone like to recommend any other program of preference? I'm most interested in putting finished mpeg2s (and also some avis) on DVDs with menus and chapters and sound that can be played on a standalone player. Thanks very much.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

DVD-Lab Pro is the top dog IMHO as well.
    Why?
    Because for a fraction of the cost of Sonic's Scenarist, you have full access to the entire DVD specs, including scripting.
    It does almost everything - and the few "missing" features are to be added in the soon-to-be-released version 2.
    (Buttons Over Video, Multi Angle, that sort of thing)

With DLP, there is literally nothing you cannot do.

10. singjai

singjai Member

Thanks, wilkes. I appreciate it. I'm checking out the site and the program looks pretty impressive. Still, pretty expensive. Any other opinions?

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

For $200, you cannot go wrong at all.
    If it is only basic stuff you need, then the other end - and in every single way better than Nero - is GEAR Video 8.
    www.gearsoftware.com
    This will capture, encode & author/Burn your DVD for you, as well as VCD, SVCD, DVD-A, DVD-ROM, CD-A, CD-ROM all in ISO or UDF or ISO/UDF hybrids.

But for pure DVD-V authoring, you cannot beat DVD Lab Pro.

12. singjai

singjai Member

Thanks again wilkes. "Way better than NERO" sounds good to me. I've got Nero 6 OEM that came with my DVD drive and believe it or not it won't add my DVD recorder files to DVD projects. It'll rip those files from DVD R/W to my HD as MPEGs, and it'll even add MPEGs I've downloaded to DVD projects for editing and inclusion on DVD, but it won't put my DVD recorder files into a DVD project. Whew.

I've got other programs that do most of what Nero or any decent package is supposed to do and those programs have no problems with DVD recorder files, why should they? Just need something to complete the final stages of assembling a DVD. Nothing fancy, just files and menus. GEAR Video 8 sounds like it could be what I'm looking for.

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

There is a completely unrestricted 30 day trial version on their website.....

14. singjai

singjai Member

Nothing beats free for a trial. Most of the software I've ever bought had free trials. I'd never heard of Gear Video 8, but I'll check it out. Thanks again.

15. Hazey

Hazey Guest

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

There is also a great 5 part tutorial when you buy the program as well, taking you from elementary modes right up to advanced.
    It's simply awesome - and with v2 due very soon now - adding in the "missing" parts of the DVD specs such as Multi Angle, buttons over video (think "Follow the White Rabbit" in The Matrix) and it will be unbeatable value for money.