1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Linux

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by BhLr, Apr 23, 2007.

1. BhLr

BhLr Member

What's everyone's opinion about SUSE, i don't have much knowledge about different types of linux distros. Just curious whats the best distro to start learning linux but one that doesn't have limited capabilities so when i start learning i have to switch distros.

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

You have two paths.. The Debian way (apt-get dpkg aptitude) and the suse/fedora way (rpm/yum)

Then you could always go down the gentoo road, but that's not fun. It's like slackware with less help.

Do you want to just have a go? or are you after something more solid?

3. BhLr

BhLr Member

I'm after something solid, but something that wont be kicking my trash either. I've been playing around with cygwin for a while so i'm not going to mess around with a live CD, plus i don't have the patience to deal with an OS that takes that long to boot every time i want to use it. Plus i'm planning on just jumping right in to linux and completely getting rid of M$, to force myself to learn Linux, plus i've got the M$ bug, that being i'm sick of windows especially after vista came out.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

OK.. fair enough.. Here we have 3 sets of users, the debian crew, the suse crew and the mandriva boys.

Debian etch is very good, stable and reliable.. freesuse 10.2 is excellent too, and easy. and mandriva, never used it but creaky swears by it.

5. BhLr

BhLr Member

I think i'm going to try out Suse, appreciate the advise, i really didn't want to jump into the wrong distro. Any advice on were i could find linux resources that i might miss w/google would also be appreciated! take care

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Check my profile page, and if you need something you can't find just ask ;)

You want Open SuSE 10.2 remastered. (that's it's full name)
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Mandriva is good, easy too, nice and bloated with all sorts of stuff, running a dual boot system now. I started with a live CD of Suse, but the only reason I didn't stay with Suse was it didn't like my ethernet card. You'll be fine with Suse though.

8. BhLr

BhLr Member

I already got Suse (i dont know how that is pronouced) downloaded & burnt and i'm hoping to install it w/in the next day if i can get the time, if Suse gives me compatibility issues like it did for you i'll switch Mandriva, thanks for the advice. appreciate the links.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

he does indeed, also been trying out PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 on a couple machines, very nice..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  10. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

openSUSE is very noob friendly...take it from me :D

if you decide to go with opensuse, then I recommend you register at the suse support forum to get help setting everything up

11. BhLr

BhLr Member

i think i fit into the noob section. Already signed up for suse forum.

12. qwerty323

qwerty323 Guest

anyone else use ubunut?
    thats what i got

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  13. creaky

14. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Ubuntu is very user friendly, however I had several very knowledgeable members warn me that it is even less secure than windose, so keep that in mind.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

16. creaky

that ddp's too quick, i missed that one :)

glad to have you back

17. ford074

ford074 Member

This morning I did set up a dual-boot with SUSE 10.2 and the KDE desktop. So far I'm pretty impressed. I wasn't sure what to expect. I might try the Gnome desktop instead.
    I'm still trying to get the hang of this file system. With XP it is so simple to install programs, with this, you use "add programs" and they get deposited to "applications/new", but not to desk top? Hmm, looks like I need to play with this some more to get the feel of how thing work on this side of the street.
    I am impressed though! Wish me luck.