1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts on DS Xtreme/G6 DS Real please

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by bhetrick, Oct 20, 2007.

1. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I just got my wife a DS Lite. I've been reading through the forums trying to get the necessary info. Seems pretty basic... get a cart, get the firmware, play your backups.

So my first job is to choose a flash cart. It seems the M3 DS Simply is the most popular choice followed closely by the R4. Both require external memory. The DS Xtreme and G6 DS Real has on board memory.

Money isn't an problem. This NDS is all new to me and I can seem to find any related articles, so, can anyone give me any pro/cons of using one cart over the other?

Thanks guys.

2. woof811

woof811 Regular member

never had a dsxtreme so cant comment on that but i have bought at least 10 r4ds and m3 ds simply for family and friends .

i have to say ive had no trouble at all with the r4ds or m3ds simply very easy to use with new firmware constantly being released. ( no probs with any games as yet and tried hundreds )

i would recommend using a 2 gig micro sd memory with a r4ds or m3ds simply ( should hold about 45 games depending on the size of each game )

cheapest place ive bought from is dealextreme postage is free but can take at least 10 days from hong kong.

that was my thoughts on the r4ds and m3 ds simply , that said i cant comment on the dsxtreme cause ive never had one sorry.

woof811.

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

bhetrick,
    I have an R4DS with a 2 Gb micro sd card, and I'm pretty happy with it. Game sizes vary anywhere from as small as 4MB to maybe 64MB or 128MB the most. Currently, I have 63 games with a little over 300MB left of free space. I only put the best ROMs on my card. I trim my ROMs too the maximize my card's capacity. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Here's an article that goes more in depth about all three flash carts. Congratulations on your new NDS! There's a lot of fun games out there. I know my wife is hooked with quite a few of them. :)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=44631

4. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i must say congrats to that first, most people dont even search anything before posting their questions.

but yes the r4 and m3 simply and sure fire solid flash carts that work. somepeople might prefer the built-in memory of the g6. the g6 also has a different interface gui part. i dont know much about the g6 though.

pros for r4/m3 simply:
    -easy, user friendly program
    -lots of updates
    -works on almost all roms for the nds/nds lite
    -plays multimedia stuff
    -soft reset buttons
    -changeable skins (you can make it yourself too)
    -reliable

cons:
    -videos only play in dgp. format
    -i wouldnt consider the music function as a player
    -no n64 emulator (thats more of the DS's fault not the flashcart)
    -sometimes i get a 'sd/cf card not found' screen and i have to reinsert the card or blow in it. g6 wuoldnt have to do that.

thats all the pros and cons i can think of

5. Scruffy29

Scruffy29 Regular member

I never get that SD Card error your talking about hmmm...

I suggest the M3 with a 2gig you can put APPROX 50 games on it.

Best of luck Cheers

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You guys, I really appriciate the input. Thanks for that link, pryme. I've decided to go with the R4 w/2gb Kingston deal from Dealxtreme. I've come across other posts where others are saying the m3/r4 gets updates pretty quick. And really, that's what I'm looking for... good product support.

And ya, I know how it is with noobs jumping in the forums and asking about the basics without searching. We see alot of that over in the 360 forum.

Once again, thanks for you time everyone.

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i read somewhere that it happens because the little strips on the inside arent touching the micro-sd and some are loser than others. i guess mines a little lose.not a problem though, i just reinsert it.

8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

bhetrick,
    You're very welcome! Enjoy your new NDS.

9. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

I personally have used the R4 and it allows drag and drop of the games
    without any special preperations.

I will personally never use anything other than the R4 DS
    because of its simplicity and ease of use

Side Note I know a 7 year old that knows how to do it

Its Super Easy

Peace out

10. KingJude

KingJude Member

so what thread is there a tutorial for the ds?? and where can i buy this m3 simply thing??