1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZAxisMapping??

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by 8chaos, Mar 9, 2007.

1. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Well I am very new to linux. I have always had a dual boot with SuSE and XP and I am just now starting to use linux more. So to the topic- my wireless Logitech mouse does not scroll. I Googled for 2 hours last night and I am still not scrolling. I know I have to access ZAxisMapping somehow. Here is a suggestion by other forum I found by Google last night.

I need to know how to get to ZAxisMapping, and where do I go to input /etc/X11/XF86Config?

I have already played with YaSt, SuSE help center and SaX2. Non of which helped me out. I have tried to input /etc/X11/XF86Config in the 'terminal' I assumed it was like DOS, but didn't do anything.

Also, another suggestion is to modify some values like this:
    Where, When, Why and How? I need specifics! Anyway any help is appreciated to get me scrolling.

Edit: By the way I am using SuSE w/GNOME

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

debian..and my scroll wheel works. You are in the right place, mine has 2 sections..

Perhaps it's the "emulate 3 buttons" part?
    Try modifying your file like mine.. but take care. I think suse has a mouse configure app somewhere in settings. I'm not very familiar with suse.

If somebody says it's in /etc/X11 then that's where it will be. You will need to be root to edit the xorg or xfree config file.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  3. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

SuSe has a YaST control center where I can change settings, but its only three settings I change. I have messed around with it. It has an activate wheel mouse and emulate a wheel mouse, but they don't work. There is a number field beside the settings, a 4-10. I don't know what that means though.

Where do I go to modify the values like you did?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You type out the commands in a command line.
    And to anticipate the possible next question "where do i find the command line?", that depends on wether your install is KDE or Gnome.
    For Gnome the command line should be called Bash or Gnome terminal, in KDE it's called Konsole.

5. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Ok, I got in to xf86config using GNOME terminal. I managed to get the down scrolling working, but it won't scroll up.

One other question, do I have go through the whole config process just to change one thing? At the end of each hardware component it asks me if I want to continue by pressing enter or abort by ctrl-c. If I abort after I made my mouse changes will it take effect? Also, do I have to restart or log out to have the changes made?

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Does suse use xorgwizard? I have no idea, but it might.. as root at the terminal prompt try <init 2> and when you get to the console login try <xorgwizard> then follow the wizard.
    You should only have to do this the once if everything works right.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  7. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

It looks like xorgconfig gets me to the same place as xf86config does. On mine I only have the option of changing the mouse protocol, ChordMiddle option and if I want to emulate a three button mouse. How can I modify the values like you did? Such as the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5". I managed to locate my /etc/x11 config file:

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "mouse"
    Identifier "Mouse[1]"
    Option "Buttons" "8"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
    Option "Name" "Logitech;MediaPlay"
    Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
    Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "7 8"

How is the ZAxisMapping option configured?, Mine is 7, 8 do I need a 4, 5 like yours?

Another thought, I am using a wireless mouse, if I chose the ps/2 option will it matter? Or will it make a difference to let the scrolling work? There seems to be no option for a wireless. I just chose the 'Microsoft' option as my mouse protocol.

8. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

OMG, I just did it! I really answered my own question. I just went into the /etc/X11/XF86Config file itself and changed the numbers to 4 and 5. I didnt know it would be that easy, Im always thinking too hard. Im actually scrolling now! lol Im so exited.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Excellent..
    I learned something about suse to.. thanks.

10. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Is that how everything is in linux? Can I customize everything with the config files?

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Pretty much. The real beauty of it is almost everything is documented online.. for example.. configure mplayer suse- google gets us http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=configure+mplayer+suse&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

Just frame your query and the answers are generally there. When you get more into it you will find lots of great things you can customise to do different things. A very complicated set of operations can be made into a script which you can save and run by double clicking the file.. an example being my ongoing work ripping dvd's http://afterdark13.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

12. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Wow, that is so cool. It brings customizing to another level when compared to windows. I have so many things I want to do...lol

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

You made a good start chosing a decent distro.. suse 10.2 is really pretty good, with lots of users and good support. Works well out of the box, and you can add just about everything to it without many issues.

The only reason I don't use it is because I'm into the "other side". More debian/slackware oriented.. not keen on the rpm packages, and kde does my head in. I prefer gnome or xcfe desktop managers.. just a layout thing, functionally they are all pretty much the same.

Here is a resource you will find a great help http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/

Have fun, and don't worry about giving me a shout if I can help with anything..

Jan

14. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Thanks, I'm sure Ill need some help down the road. Linuxforums.org has a lot of good stuff to read. Right now I am just poking around a bit. I added some themes and installed VLC player...man that was a different experience coming from a windows user. I think the next thing I might want to do is start getting my DVD tools working on linux...then its over for windows, lol. I'm so hooked. It's a challenge again, makes it fun to mess with.