1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zooOOOMM!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jethrouk, Dec 24, 2006.

1. jethrouk

jethrouk Member

I have Philips 42" plasma & HDVDR

The plasma has the standard (7 or so) widesreen view modes

The HDVDR also has it's own zoom modes

Yet I still can't watch 'Pirates of the Carribean' the way I want to

The DVD plays is wide/wide screen and by default is letterbox (black bars top & bottom) - I didn't buy a 42" to see black bars anywhere -Grrrrr

Tried all view modes on TV and the only way i can fill the screen is by stretching it vertically - Double Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Tried the zoom modes on the HDVD and it just zooms the picture and retains the original ratio - Perfic! - except it leaves the zoom icons all over the screen and i can't get rid - Triple GRRRRRRRR

I dont know if any one else has this problem but this is more a vent to manufacturers

I NEVER want to see black bars ever again & I want to be able to zoom them out - I dont care if i lose some of the picture to do this - I DO NOT want pictures stretched this way or that way (i even teach students that stretching a picture is a mortal sin) - When i've paid £2000 I should be able to watch a movie upside down or back to front if'n i want to

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

I believe this post and the first set of pictures by [edDV] should go a long way in explaining why you see black edges around your widescreen TV

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=316733

This is my post from another thread on the subject

Wide-screen 16:9 -- [1.78:] Fills the entire wide-screen TV. If 1.85:1 it will leave a very small boarder and on a 4:3 TV either leaves a boarder but is acceptable for viewing
    If 2.35:1 [or scope] the wide-screen has to much boarder [is a sliver on most 4:3 TV] and is UN-acceptable
    Sure you can screw around with the aspect ratio but it usually results in time and likely a quality loss. I have found very few flicks in anamorphic , or a DVD or TV that are smart and would react to it and who wants to screw around with a movie that is bought or rented. Rental outfits mostly provide 2:35:1 or some fullscreen versions. Frankly I would rather watch a fullscreen than a 2.35:i

I have films that are wide-screen 1.78:1 and are excellent on wide-screen and very good on a 4:3 TV.
    I have yet to find a flick, bought or rented that tells what the aspect ratio is.

Many try to state that wide screen is anything over full-screen in aspect ratio
    If it says Wide-Screen I want it in 1.78:1--[1.85:1] OK --- 2.35:1 no way
    If it was in 2.35:1 I take it back and I don’t care if the box says wide-screen
    There is No Reason to provide these 2.35:1 movies for TV viewing on any TV, they belong in a cinema scope theater

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

This subject has been discussed at length. There is a lot of good info here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/226188

Suggestions on how to minimize your viewing with the "black bars" and why you will continue to have run-ins with them. Some good links as well.

4. jethrouk

jethrouk Member

my beef is really that it doesn't matter what ratio (2.7:1, whatever)the film is in

you SHOULD always be able to zoom black bars out - without distorting the picture

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

For the price we pay for the sets, equipment, etc...I whole heartedly agree! I should be able to zoom in on a pimple on the nether regions of Jessica Alba's behind with crystal clarity if I wanted to!!LOL!

6. jethrouk

jethrouk Member

Well zooOOMMing is not rocket science (enlarging without distorting) and i can't figure out why manufacturers don't support it

I can't figure out the mentality of people/companies investing so much time/money in technological boundaries (progressive scan, component output, High Definition) and then not even notice (or care) that 1/3 of their picture is totally missing

To me that's like touching in a miniscule stone chip in your car boot/hood when the bonnet/hood has fallen off completely

People often act like black bars are some nessessary evil 'we have to put up with', like it's some by-product of 16:9 vs 3:4

But it isn't! I had almost forgotten but i have a prehistoric Philips DVD player that has an 8 step zoom which is enough to erradicate any black bars on any screen ratio vs any dvd ratio

i was hoping it could stay in my bedroom since i'd spent a small fortune on the replacements but it looks like it's coming down stairs again