1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

´´A Question about a DVD writer i am buying´´ Need Advice

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BolloStar, Sep 22, 2002.

1. BolloStar

BolloStar Guest

Hi i am buying a DvD writer this fridays coming..
    and i am into Xbox,Ps2 and dvd movies..
    i have heard of:
    pioneer ao4 and Sony DRU500A
    that people say writes +dvd r + rw dvd
    - dvd r -rw dvd and the standart cd r and cd rw
    but i dont whick one or if there is a nother one is better i just want to buy the best one so i dont have problems later
    to backuo my ps2 dvd and xbox dvd games..

I am new at this..

2. harvey713

harvey713 Member

Definitely go a for DVD-R/RW drive. These are more compatible with DVD players. I don't have anything against the +RW format but it just has compatibility issues.

3. BolloStar

BolloStar Guest

harvey713 thnx bro..
    but the sony says it burn all the formats

so you recomend the pioneer ao4
    it does the work for ps2,xbox and dvd?

4. Modman

Modman Guest

bollostar,

I to have to go for the Pioneer, I just bought one 2 weeks ago. And just what Harvey said, it has all the better features for more backing up. I heard that the sony which is +RW is only good for backing up Data (Harddrives) not for what your purposes is on mines.

Modman

5. harvey713

harvey713 Member

OK, this is a really late reply. The Friday you refer to has come and gone. Tell us what you finally got. I have nothing against Sony, they make quality equipment but you also need to make sure everything you have works together. So, give it up.

6. Ray_D_O

Ray_D_O Member

the sony dru500a will burn DVD-r/rw, DVD+r/rw and dvd-ram... it is definitely NOT just for data. I've burned many dvd-r's and play them back in my Toshiba SD2800 home player just fine. It's an AWESOME burner

7. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

dvd+r/+rw work in every consumer dvd player i have tried.. why are people having so much compatibility problems? are they using crappy generic media? i personally use cheap memorex video DVD+R discs (at your local bestbuy) and they work excellent..
    oh well..
    just my .02
    peace

8. oquela

oquela Member

I just bought an OEM Pioneer DVR-A04 under the name "Pine". It included software and a 2x blank. At Fry's at slightly over $200 after $60 rebate(best deal) Writes 1x and 2x fine. Tried 1x memorex dvd-r, and got 9 out of 10 movies to work on my Mac. Will try on my pc as soon as I could figure out an EASY way to do it. Drive is GREAT so far.

9. Krs12

Krs12 Guest

I'd give up the idea about backing up xbox games. The files are insanely huge and won't fit properly on a DVD-R. I have copied many movies to DVD-R/RW and they both work fine in my Xbox. Maybe someone else knows more about Xbox games and will have a better answer.

10. Layser

Layser Guest

Hi, i am considering buying the new pioneer dvr-105 but am having the same problem, it uses minus media and i need to know if i can back up my PS2/X-Box, more PS2 but X-Box would be a bonus, if this dvd writer can't, then can someone recommend an alternative, thankyou

11. endothorn

endothorn Guest

layser ive just got a pioneer dvr-105 drive and have backed up loads of PS2/Xbox games and movies on dvd-r media and they all work perfectly.
    a word in your ear always use good quality media as ps2's are a bit picky.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2002
  12. dawg1161

dawg1161 Member

Hello all... I have purchased a sony dru110a dvd+rw dvd writer... My question is does this writer only use dvd+rw or does it also use dvd+r? ikeep being told that it will use the latter but i need to know for sure before i waste money on the wrong media... also i am 1 for 1, i made a back up of my movie under siege using dvd decyrpter with no problems at all. 1ghz 384mb win98 sony dru110a... please let me know if anyone for sure knows what media this burner can use? Thank You all

13. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

here some quick info on xbox backing up (a very crash course run through)..

To burn xbox games you need to install a mod chip into your xbox (i installed a matrix, no solder and you can update the bios without removing the mod chip).

After you get that installed, you need to run Evolution X Dashboard from a CD-RW disc or you can install it directly to your harddrive to replace the microsoft dashboard.

Once you get that installed, you will need to hook up your xbox to a network (i have a DSL router, works great). Once the xbox is on teh network and has an IP address, you will need to FTP into the xbox from your PC, enter the IP address of your XBOX. The login info is this:
    user: xbox
    password: xbox
    (this is for the evolution x dashboard)

Once you ftp into the xbox, it will show 6 folders.
    The C: is the main folder.
    The D: is your XBOX's DVD Drive (thus where the game we are trying to backup is located)

Now you want to download all teh files from the D: to your computers HD.

After it finishes, you need to create an XBOX iso file (xbox games will not read in your pc's dvd drive, just will show you a layout similar to dvds just a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder).
    Use xISO for this.

Once you create ISO, burn it to a blank dvd+rw with nero (this way you can test it before you actually use a dvd+r).

well thats a brief intro xbox backing up, check out the xbox forums (do a google search for them)

peace
    seamonkey420

ps the hardest part of this is finding the bios's and evolution x dashboard, good luck!