1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1, 3, 4 or 5 channel DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by dchapman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. dchapman

dchapman Member

Does anyone know of any DVD-A software capable of authoring 1, 3, 4 or 5 channel uncompressed LPCM audio?

As far as I can tell the Discwelder series only supports 2 and 6 channels.

What about Wavelab?

Are there any other options?

Thanks,

Dave.

2. jjolson

jjolson Member

Yes, as I understand it Wavelab does all logical configurations from 1-6 channels. Apart from the mono setup, the fronts are always there. Then combine 0-1 LFE, 0-1 center and 0, 1 (mono back channel) or 2 surrounds.

3. dchapman

dchapman Member

It appears that I was wrong about the discWelder series - even Bronze can author discs with any number of channels from 1 to 6.

I was confused by the fact that the "track properties" only lets you choose between stereo and 6-channel surround. But if you select 6-channel surround, and then populate less than 6 channels, then the DVD gets authored as such.

Dave.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Remember that you have a limitation of 9.6 Megabits/second with straight, uncompressed audio.
    This will allow up to 4.0 in 24/96, but no further.
    To get 24/96 in 5.1 you need MLP lossless and an app that supports this.

The discwelder interface does look like it does stereo/5.1 only, but a quick read of the manual will tell you that you can author a disc with whatever channel arrangement you choose to use.