1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.4mhz ripping and burning 75% faster than my 2.8mhz

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by NeAlvey, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ppiper

ppiper Member

r u running dvd idle? might be a memory conflict

2. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

DVD Idle? The DVD running from autoplay?

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Nero is not a part of the encoding equation. That app just kicks in at the end to burn.

By the way, the standard configuration is DVD ROM - S/M; burner - S/S and the HDs are on the Primary IDE with the boot drive as master. Occasionally you'll see a manufacturer suggest the burner at S/M. With the newer faster equipment the differences are less noticable. But if the DVD ROM is faster at reading, you definitely want it in the master position.

You now know the problem, you just have to figure why. To check the setup, download DVD Decrypter and rip the DVD to the HD. Then you can use the ripped file in DVD Shrink and the disk drive isn't called on again until the burn process. Try that with Shrink and see if you are still around 30% CPU usage. That'll let you know if the problem is with the data transfer from the drive or not. Also, note the CPU usage while Decrypter is ripping, that should give you a clue as well.

Another way to check the setup, download a trial version of another recording program and see how that works. CloneDVD2 is a good little app with a decent trial period. (I like InterVideo's DVDCopy2, but you only get it for a few days and it is troublesome with some movies. It's sort of special use.) Be sure to watch the Task Manager to see how the CPU functions while encoding. That will tell you if you're just having problems with Shrink or the problem is elsewhere. BTW, what is the CPU usage level doing an audio cd?

You said the CPU was capable of running higher, the trials I described should point toward where the problem is.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  4. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Currently using DVD Decrypter and it's taking FOREVER as well. Here's a screen shot of it.

[​IMG]

I'm getting about 10% usage of my cpu doing this but it may not require much more than that. Once it is done I will try creating an ISO with Shrink to see if it goes any faster.

5. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

I think we've found the problem. Now just got to find out how to fix it. I guess I'll start switching drives around, etc unless someone else has better ideas.

Shrink from the files on the harddrive...
    [​IMG]

Computer usage while encoding the ISO file...
    [​IMG]

That's good thinking brobear.

One thing to note. I just had to reboot my computer b/c it would run fine, then completely lock up for 5-7 seconds then be fine for 20 seconds, then lock up again. May not be related or it may just be a file still running since I cancelled the DVD shink operation.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  6. Neuro42

Neuro42 Guest

One thing I noticed....

Your first screen shot was of Pre Ripping and it shopped 28 processes running...

Durring ripping it showed 25 processes running...

So you obviously did something else. It should have gone UP after opening DVD shrink. Not down.

Check your processes list make sure you arent getting CPU reading on ANYTHING else and set DVD Shrink to normal or High priority. It really sounds like you are trying to do something else and its default setting is low priority I believe.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD Decrypter while ripping had nothing to do with Shrink. Shrink was out of the loop at that point. Decrypting has low CPU requirements. My CPU runs about 10% and there are occasional spikes that go fairly high. On my last rip I noticed a spike that went into the 60% range, but it was just momentary. Decrypter doesn't have a run priority setting. Ripping a big movie normally takes about 20 to 25 min so 35 is sort of slow for your system.

As the computer works it isn't uncommon for the number of processes to change. However, it's not a good idea to try multi tasking while doing DVD video recording work. But that doesn't appear to be the problem as the CPU usage was very low while ripping and with the processes lower it was running 100% while encoding. So, you're looking for what is causing the data transfer problem with the disk drives. I forgot, does SiSandra have a battery for checking the disk drives? Nero has a test for drive speed and performance in the Nero Toolkit, give that a try and see what the results are.

8. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh...I've got nothing. Well, I do, but still not able to fix it. I re-downloaded Sandra and ran the speed tests on the DVD-rom and burner. My roommate gets 9mb/s with his. I got 3700kb/s with the DVD-rom and 479kb/s with the burner. Horrible! So, I decided to replace the IDE cable and check jumpers as these are quite easy steps. I did have the jumper on the burner on cable select so I switched it to slave. Also, the cable that came with the computer seems VERY cheap. However, after doing this, I got the exact same speeds. I'm now messing around with Nero CD-DVD Speed but I don't fully get what it's telling me...

9. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Here's a picture from Sandra and the DVD-ROM at 3600 kb/s:

[​IMG]

What's my next step? I checked bios and Ultra DMA is enabled. Could it be a hardware issue? I hate to even think about dealing with Dell support with this issue.

10. Molder

Molder Regular member

Try disconnecting the drives one at a time, try the DVD ROM by itself and see what the speeds are, then try same with DVD burner and see what the speeds are.
    One unit may be the problem.

M

11. brobear

brobear Guest

I believe you would be better off with the assistance of a computer tech forum instead of a DVD newbie section or even put the PC in the shop. Sounds to me like tech support would have more on hand for your particular PC; that is if you can get a real tech support person and not someone in another country reading cue cards. Possibly someone can come along with the help you need, but I think you might find it faster with specialized support.

If the problem isn't hardware, then it is in the interface that operates it or some physical aspect of the setup. You already know that. I only mentioned it to point out that it has gone a bit farther than the regular scope of this section of the forum.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
  12. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

I agree...off to Sharky's. The problem I had was anytime you bring up DVD Shrink you get shot down. However now that I have "proof" of the slow rate, I'll give it a try.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Appears there are the Shrinksters and the Non Shrink faction and a lot in between. I'm one of the in between but am very familiar with the app. DVD Decrypter and the SiSoft tests show the slow speeds off the drives; so it isn't just DVD Shrink. So with what you've already learned about what's happening, you can show it isn't necessarily linked to a particular app. Take your SiSoft readings along when you go.

14. Wcombs9

Wcombs9 Member

how do you take screen shots? thats pretty cool!

15. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

<ALT> + <PRINT SCREEN> buttons in the current window.

I believe if you use <CTRL> + <PRINT SCREEN> you get the entire screen instead of the selected window

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004