1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.6 no big deal

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by scottas, Aug 30, 2004.

1. scottas

scottas Guest

Just finished the 10th 1.6 mod. All are working fine after days of abuse!!! The lpc rebuild is not bad, the points on the 1.6 mobo are a bit more forgiving than the d0 points on earlier versions. Also firefuckers ava-install is a great tool!! Good menu from disk boot, can re-install dash format small and large hdd, install apps and so forth. Works like slayers but more updated. The m8_16 bios works well but to run Avalaunch you'll need to change avalaunch.xbe to evoxdash.xbe. Easier than modding the bios.

2. scottas

scottas Guest

Note: All mods were done with 2.3 pros and lites. Can't wait for the X3!!!

3. overryde

overryde Member

hey sounds like you know your stuff. i have a v1.6 xbox and looking for a modder to install my xecuter 2.6 mod chip and up grade the hard drive with all thoes goodies... let me know if you are able to do this work and send me an email at mle04a@acu.edu so we can talk. thanks

4. rogerklu

rogerklu Member

I'm not even at that point. How can I tell what version my xbox is? I want to get a mod chip, but I hear that most are not compatible with v1.6. I looked all over my xbox, cant seem to find a version number. Thanks!

5. overryde

overryde Member

The best way to find out what version your xbox is, is to open up your xbox and look at the chips it has installed and go to xbox-scene.com and look at there tutorial on how to find your xbox version, there is allso a way to check it by looking at your serial number but that is not 100% positive. and btw, your version number isnt just stamped on your xbox. just to let you know. Thanks

6. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

1.6 versions are real easy to spot
    one way you can do it without taking your xbox apart , is by the manufacture date , if its manufactured after April 4, 2004 (US) then chances are its a 1.6 (course you have to take factory refurbs into account, ie older boards)
    Ive done quite a few 2.3b chips successfully on a 1.6, using 30 awg link wire for the lpt rebuild, Also made a funky multi colored xbox logo for the M8_16 bios , and increased the fan speed using evtools, for bigger and faster hard drives.
    The 2.6 chip, you still have to rebuild the LPT, BUT you can now disable your chip and lock the hdd.
    and the new LEDS look cool!
    note that if youre doing a large hard drive mod on a 1.6, to enable large hdd over 137gb, use evtools.
    btw Scottas, 100% success dude:) but dont it mke your eyes blink!! lol all those pinhead solder tabs!
    Im gonna get me a new lighted magnifier lol
    hey by the way, xbox-hq installer is AWESOME!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  7. rogerklu

rogerklu Member

Thanks a lot guys. Now that I know that I have a 1.6, I can no longer get that Xenium Ice solderless :( Any recommendations on chips that are easy do-it-yourselfs for 1.6?

8. overryde

overryde Member

im a noob but have read up alot about the 1.6 mobo and the lpc rebuild and theres not really a chip for the 1.6 that is easy to install, no mater what its going to require soldering, and if you not good with soldergun i wouldnt take the chance of messing up your new xbox, i would do what im doing and take it to a installer around town, so if they screw it up its on them and not on you, pluse most people will do a 1.6 from 35$ to 50$ so not that bad

9. rogerklu

rogerklu Member

Thanks a bunch, so what would you say is a good mod to get for a 1.6?

10. overryde

overryde Member

I got me the xecuter 2.6, thats what alot of people told me to get, or the xenium ice. i herd they are about the same. im not really sure tho. good luck

11. rogerklu

rogerklu Member

Overryder,

the xecuter is compatible with the 1.6? I heard that both the xecuter and xenium is incompatible with the 1.6 xbox, or have I been wrongly informed?

12. overryde

overryde Member

i think you were wrongly informed becaus i have talked to about 9 installers and they all know i have a 1.6 mobo and said they could do the install with either chip.

13. fortoken

fortoken Member

Hello i am about to rebuild the LPC on my 1.6, i already soldered in the pin header. if it's soldered can i still rebuild the LPC on it? Also do i need to flash the chip on another XBOX for it to work or can i do a manual install with a disk?

14. fortoken

fortoken Member

BEfor i shove my foot in my mouth again. i need help as you can tell i called the lpt an lpc oh man... plz anyone what should i do on my 1.6 what bios do i need and how can i get it. curse you 1.6!!!!!!!

15. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Theres only currently one bios for the 1.6 board, thats the m8_16 (make sure you use the 16 version of the m8)
    you CAN customise it for big hdd's and logo colours etc, using evtools.
    Rogerklu, yea you were misinformed, you can mod with the 1.6 with the xecuter 2.3 and 2.6, the 2.3 however, will remain "lit" as long as the xbox is plugged in (its the whole "power" problem thing)
    the 2.6 has been made to compensate for this with an extra red wire.
    all 1.6 boards modded with chips HAVE to have the LPT rebuilt, so theresa no solderless way to do it im 'fraid
    Cant tell you DIRECTLY where to gt the m8 bios, but get mirc, search for xbins on irc.
    Or get the xboq-hq installer which has the bios on it

16. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

oh btw, having the pinheader installed wont make a difference to the LPT rebuild, AS LONG as no pins on top are soldered or crossed etc, basicaly the pinheader is a series of pins that stand "straight up" from the holes, the plastic part just holds them in place, so if the pins arent crossed (soldered together anyway) then youre fine:)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  17. fortoken

fortoken Member

ok cool so if the pinheader is installed then i can still setup the lpc. nice ok so i need a programer. i have m8_16 but i also want to install a 120 gig western digital how would i go about doing that. and can i install the bios with out a programer?

18. scottas

scottas Guest

Also on the 2.3, there is a way to utilize the switches to be able to turn off chip power. But for the money the X3 is the way to go. Check out team X's site for the latest info.

19. Phillipo

Phillipo Guest

HELP ME PLEASE will some one send me m8_16 bios to looserphil@yahoo.com my work has so many blocks so i can d\l from any site HELP please!!!!

20. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

Read djboogie's post in this thread, its the best way to get a hold of that bios. I doubt if anyone will send you that bios, as it is an illeagal bios. There is a guide to using xbins here: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php