1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 burner to read/burn. Should I keep the second burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by zenarrrow, Apr 18, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hello. I replaced my old NEC DVD+RW 1100A For a pioneer 109 it works swell. I was going to sell it (nec 1100a) to a friend but I have read using 1 burner to read and write can be hard on it? I do not have an ebay account where I am selling dvdr's or any thing maybe burning 1 to 5 movies a week. Is this light enough or should I install the other one and use 1 to read and the other to burn?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You can sell the nec 1100a and for around $20-$40,get you a lite-on dvd-rom drive.Or keep it for a backup. The dvd-rom should be faster at ripping.I love my combo of benq 1620 along with the Lite-on 167t. Faster backup process,and just a 3 or 4 click process and you don't have to wait for trays to spit out and replace with empty disc.Set it and forget it.I have done many under 20 mins process for rips and burns with it.It really comes in handy for re-rips on the fly.You've got a couple of fine burners.

The 1100a is a fine burner. My dad has it and a buddy of mine also.I have no trouble re-ripping theirs and vice-versa.Excellent compatability,despite the plus format only.

Good Luck on your decision!

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you very much, I think I will keep it I was going to sell it for $50 US. But do you think for what I burn, around 1 - 5 disc's a week, would that burn out the Pioneer?

4. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I have two burners on my Pc. The master is the L.G. 4163B and the slave is the NEC 3520A. I had a Liteon 167T DVD-Rom and it ripped just fine but I wanted to try the Nec. I use mod firmware from Liggy and DEE 1UF and it is awesome. The L.G. even though it is a burner rips just as fast as the Liteon, but give me a better leadin burn time. 3ms.

5. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

Not a chance, matey... the pioneer will handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. i have a pioneer 108-D, had it since last october & its never let me down. its one of the best bits of kit ive brought for my Pc. A sound investment you have made, my friend!

I would say hang onto your other burner though, just in case. It never hurts to have a backup for your backups...

6. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hey,

Even if your new burner did die with in a year or two, you can usually get 5 x better for 10 times less money :)

A few years back, I remember paying $399.00can for the LG-4040B (4x burner).

Man at that price I jumped on it (Was on sale).
    I think there was like $150.00 off.

These days, you can get a NEC-3520A for $79.99can at the corner store here...

Give it an other year or two and we just might see 20x DVD burner for $29.99.

Or maybe BlueRay Burners at $1500.00 cause it's new technology :)
    1 x BlueRay Media for only $79.99, get them while we have some in stock :)

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  7. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

would that be to do your backups of your BluRay original films at 50 quid/100 dollars each, to watch on your 1000 quid BluRay/dvd combo player?

Man, i need to get a better job! LOL, hehehe :)

8. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

The Nec 3520A is on Sale NewEgg.com for 48.99USD. Thats Cheap for a great burner.