1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 sheep burner ok?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by devils89, Dec 21, 2004.

1. devils89

devils89 Member

i just bought a one sheep burner. i just read somewhere that 1 sheep burners are not good for backing up copyrighted dvd's. Does this go for ripping the dvd w/ dvd decrypter, then burning w/ dvd shrink? will i not be able to do this well, or is that just for using programs like dvd x copy or something? Thanks

2. colw

colw Active member

Baaa! - the majority of burners are of the 1 sheep variety and will not present any problems in backing up DVD's with Shrink/Decrypter etc.

2 and 3 Sheep burners are used mainly to overcome protections with many of the newer games for xbox/ps2 etc.

3. devils89

devils89 Member

if u rip it first, does it matter? cause i can rip it fine on any dvd rom drive. Then aren't you just like burning some non copyrighted files? or are they still copyright protected when you burn them on a backup?

4. colw

colw Active member

If you use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to rip/encode the movie to your H/D all copyright protection will be removed.

When you burn them to your DVD there will be no protection on the burnt DVD. You can use any disk copy program (e.g., Nero Copy Disk) to make a backup of your original backup.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

yea, colw is right. I think you read that wrong. From what I've been told you need a 2 sheep burner to successfully backup pc games.

6. devils89

devils89 Member

so your saying it doesn't matter how many sheep your burner has if you use dvd decryptor right? is there a way to remove the copyright protection on pc games like you can on movies?

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Nope. Keep in mind that a DVD isn't like PC software. It only uses CSS encryption and Macrovision to prevent copying because any other protection would render it unreadable by standalone DVD players. A PC game on the other hand is only restricted by the capabilities of the drive, the operating system, and the game software itself (this last one they can rewrite any time they want). PC game protection is generally much more sophisticated than the "simple" encryption used on a DVD.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  8. devils89

devils89 Member

so i could backup movies w/o any problems then, but not pc games right? wut about xbox games?