1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000-1050$ Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Knivez, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Hi guys ill keep this short since a lot of people don't like reading my essays.. Me and my friend are building a computer (hes gonna help me build it) its going to be 1000$ and primarily for gaming. Ive looked around forums and i cant find the right builds for me so i hope you guys can help me out

heres what i really want in it
    1) a descent case
    2) has to be acceptably noisy (parents threaten they will throw it out if its crazy loud and their no kidding)
    3) I would prefer to go with Intel
    4) 500 gig HD (no priority)
    5) 8800 GT vcard (250$?)ive been hearing that some brands are alot better than others..
    6) Mobo and CPU together (CPU already installed because i dont know how to install the CPU... im pretty noob)
    7) Ill be willing to sacrifice some of other part for good cooling (not the 200-300$ kind though.. my budget is tight)
    8) I am Canadian so any stores that are good in Mississauga region? (i was mostly going to buy from Tiger Direct, and I dont want to buy online because price cuts will probably equal out after shipping so theres no point)

Any ideas? Suggestions? Brands? Builds? Stores?
    Anything you guys can provide me with will help me, so thanks in advance. (btw i have everything else monitor keyboard, sound system etc.)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. szarlej

szarlej Member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E6850s overclock easier and further as they can handle a vcore increase before going bang - the E8400s won't. Do some research man.

5. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Thanks a lot for the help
    Will I see a big difference between these two cards?
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26780&vpn=PVT88PYDF4&manufacture=XFX
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3548332&Sku=E145-8811

And can i find these parts at Local Tiger Direct for same price? Cause i really hate dealing with buying online (ive had too many problems to count)
    Again Thanks

In fact im willing to pay an extra 50-70$ if i can get it in store.. its just a lot easier to handle, but if the difference is going to be 150-200$ then i dont think i have a choice

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The main problem with buying online is that TigerDirect can often give you grief. NCIX have very good reviews, I'd quite like you to try them out as I've sent people links to them several times but never got any feedback either way. I live in the UK so I wouldn't have any first hand experience.
    XFX are a far better brand than EVGA though, so I'd recommend sticking the choice I outlined. If you must use Tiger, get this card instead: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3427124&CatId=1826

7. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Yah i compared with Tiger, its going to cost me about 100$ to buy the same stuff, but shipping on the ncix site will cost me about 100$ as well so Tiger is actually cheaper (im going to buy it from store directly) however im going to shop around for different prices in Canada. I was wondering if you knew of any guides that help me put together PCs (i trust my friend i just want to know what hes doing..)

and again Thanks alot sammorris

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, the best place to get this info is probably in our official building thread.

9. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Hey, i forgot to ask something..
    do i need a soundcard??? the thing is im not using speakers right now, im using a stereo system for sound, the plug on it is a bit weird but my HP apparently had a slot for it (its not the normal audio plug) if i do need this card, can you give suggestions for 20-25$ i don't need anything fancy, something that will let me connect my stereo system as my sound source is fine.. if you still don't know what im talking about i can take pictures if you like..

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Hey there seemed to be one last thing i forgot to ask...

The heating issues, would this build be able to run 10-14 hours without giving me any heat trouble, a friend of mine told me that the 8800 would be really hot and said i should get 8800 G92, what do you think?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The old 8800GT cards did get hot, but that was fixed. Also, the 8800GT uses the G92 core. Your friend was probably thinking about the GTS, which is cooler and a bit faster, but obviously more expensive.

13. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Ok ill go with what you recommended from NCIX, on the 30th their having some huge sale if the prices of the components are pretty good i might be buying everything from over there (except the case, the shipping on it is ridiculous..)

Thanks a lot for the help

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shipping's pretty expensive on cases from most places really, they are after all much bigger and heavier than the other components.

15. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the same board, but it's also the same price...

17. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

1 advantage is that its literally 3 minutes away from my house.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right, I figured that would potentially be a factor. But yeah it's the same product, so go nuts.

19. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Should I use Vista or XP for this build? (i have both) im running vista on my laptop and its giving me alot of trouble in terms of connecting to other computers and such but ive been hearing Vista actually plays games better than XP is that true?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it offers DX10 - marginally improved graphics at significantly worse performance. To be honest, I'd give it a miss. Not everybody agrees with me on this, but XP runs undeniably faster than Vista, it uses less memory and there are far fewer worries about programs going wrong.