1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000's files different directories need to delete

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by basquiat, Jul 18, 2006.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok this really pissed me off, i tried out this program called cdwinder, its for cataloging music. when it was indexing my music folder it put a file in each directory (thousands of them) called "CDFinder Folder Info"
    no ext or anything. now i realize this program isnt what i want but im stuck with all these files, is there an easy way to delete all these, because the problem is i didnt install the program it is just an exe and there is no options to get rid of these. it would take me endless hours to delete these one at a time, pleas god can someone help me out? thank you.

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

try cclean. Look in the software section. It's a good prog.

3. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Assuming the files all have the same name, use the search function ,
    [bold]Start-Search-for files and folders [/bold]choose all files and folders, in the top box (All or part of file name) enter the file name "CDFinder Folder Info" make sure the bottom box (look in) shows your hard drive and click search. All the found files will be shown in the right hand pane. Check them to make sure there are no rogue files that you may want to keep, then select them all click in the window then (ctrl-a) and press delete. They will then be sent to recycle bin(assuming its turned on) for disposal.

4. tjohns

tjohns Member

Start a DOS Prompt (click START - RUN; type CMD; click OK)
    change drive if required (type C: then press ENTER)
    go to root folder (type CD \)
    delete all files with given name in all sub-folders (type DEL /S "CDFinder Folder Info" and press ENTER)
    type EXIT and press ENTER to close DOS Prompt

Trevor

5. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

How simple was that Trevor... Now why didn't I think of that, basically? coz I wasn't listening all those years ago when I should have been learning DOS...Great call, I'll add that to my knowledge base.

6. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok new problem, those ideas didnt work when i know they should have...so i check the properties of one of these files and the attributes is set to hidden, now what can i do?

ok got it fixed, just changed the attributes of all files in my music with total commander and then used the dos command you gave me, i knew there was an easy was to do it through dos but i kept trying crap lile del c: cdfinder*...well thanx for the help guys i feel much better.