1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100Hz or 50Hz LCD TV?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by The__YeTi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. The__YeTi

The__YeTi Guest

Can anyone explain the differences/benefits/drawbacks between 100Hz and 50Hz LCD TV sets? Or their experiences with 100Hz sets?

I've tried to do some research into the subject, but there isn't much information available (well I couldn't find it) as to which is better for what situations. The information I can find is usually a few years out of date and most of the time is talking about CRT or is explaining how the technology works. This site has given me about the best (layman terms) explanation of how the technology works in LCD and Plasma sets.

From what I can figure out the technology should really improve most viewing, but how reliable is it? Does it 'guess' wrong often and ruin the film/match/whatever you're watching? Or is the technology fairly stable and reliable? Does it function better when watching certain things and not very well for others? Are there any drawbacks? Does it drastically cut down the life of the set?

I have read things about how it can blur static text sometimes, such as menu options, and it can screw up some moving text such as ticker tapes, is this still a problem? Or is it solved in modern sets?

I'm planning on buying a 37" 1080P 100Hz Toshiba LCD TV (37RV555DB), I'll initially be plugging my DVD player, Sky and Starview PVR box into it, I don't watch much sports, boxing mainly, and I don't play any consoles, I do watch quite a few movies though. And in the near future I'll probably be upgrading to Sky HD and getting a Blu-Ray player.

Sorry if it seems like I've totally missed something or I'm rambling a bit, but I just haven't really got a clue if this 100Hz is going to be any good or not. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated :).

2. millerlfc

millerlfc Member

buy a 100hz tv well better go for a make pay the money for it honest