1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i or 1080p?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by diabolos, Oct 21, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I was wondering if anyone would know if either HD-DVD or Blue-Ray discs will hold 1080p resolution movies or 1080i movies? From the Faq page I will assume HD-DVD will work like present DVD players and simply upconvert 1080i to 1080p (for tvs that can handel 1080p).

I am confussed about Blue-Ray though. It seems that some of the BDs will hold 1080p movies. I will assume that the 1080p movies can be redueced (downconverted) to 1080i in the same fashion?

Is downconverting to 1080i from 1080p better than upconverting from 1080i to 1080p?

I'm just asking because most of the 1080p capable tvs I have seen can't except a 1080p signal through thier digital ports.

Ced

2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Theres really no such thing as upconverting. If the max reloution of a file is 1080i, then it will stay at that quality.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't think it has to do with that so much. Its not magic but upconverting DVD players do improve the picture quality of fixed pixel displays (ie Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCos, ect...). You know 480p to 720p or 1080i. Its easier for a tv with a native res of 768p to make a 720p image fit its screen than a 480p one. Like wise, its easier to create a 1080p image from a 1080i image than a 480p one. You simply double the lines.

Right?
    Ced

4. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I was thinking that to fit it, they just stretch the image, but you could be correct.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I know its slightly more complicated than that. It doessn't strech the image like zooming does it scales everything evenly. All fixed pixel displays do the same thing. They scale images to thier native resolutions. Upconverting DVD players just help them out by giving the tv the digital source that it needs so it can do the best job it can at scaling the standard def image (480p) to its native resolution.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Converting 1080i to 1080p could be done by line doubling, but it's really just deinterlacing, and should work like the current generation players do now.

If the content is interlaced using pulldown the best method is to IVTC it, which would give you a full resolution frame with no line doubling or other processing. It will also give you duplicate frames but that can be resolved by either the player or the display recognizing and dropping those frames to recover the correct framerate.

If it's PAL content that's just been sped up the original frames are generally still intact (just set to be displayed 1 field at a time) and the player would just need to recognize this and deliver them a full frame at a time.

If it's truly interlaced then the best approach is motion adaptive deinterlacing, which basically means the player tries to determine if there is any motion between the fields in a given frame. If there's no motion they're delivered as a single frame with no changes made. If there is motion detected different deinterlacing techniques can be used to try to combine the fields into a single frame with the least possible change to the picture.

In reality different players use a variety of approaches to this, but the best ones essentially do what I describe here, and if I had a display that could handle 1080p I would insist on this approach for any next generation player I bought.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  7. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

So I've been looking into a Samsung 56" DLP 1080p set but it and as far as I can find all 1080p sets only accept maximum of a 1080i input. The Samsung manual says it converts all signals to 1080p.

Will BD or HD dvd be in 1080p or 1080i?

I'm probably not going to buy anything until summer of '06 so I'm hoping that things will settle out by then.

Mike

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

From what I've read HD-DVD will use 1080i and BD will support 1080i and 1080p but mostly 1080i.

9. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I think its a waste for whoever uses 1080p graphics. Unless you have a brand new HDTV, you're looking at graphics downgraed to at lest 1080i.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I thought the question was related to what the source matirials res. will be not a displays native resolution.

11. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i like 1080p. it will be nice when i have lots of money.