1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080I, True HD, Plasma & Lies

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Spliceman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. FlatEric

FlatEric Guest

I know that, but how does a 1366 horiozontal resolution display end up with 1920.

As I asked, is this also interlaced ?

2. Spliceman

Spliceman Guest

Many monitors will scale the 1080i information down to a resolution that is viewable on that monitor. That is why the monitor says it can accept a 1080i signal. But in order to view a 16x9 image in 1080i (and see every line) you need a monitor capable of 1920 x 1080. Even if only 1/2 of the lines come on at a time...

3. FlatEric

FlatEric Guest

So it is interlaced in the horizontal dimension also ?

4. Spliceman

Spliceman Guest

You mentioned 1366. 1366 would be the number of verticle lines your display has. Divide that by 16 and multiply the result by 9 and you get 768. So your monitor immediately scales the 1080 lines to 768 lines. This is still a very sharp image but not as sharp as 1080... Then because the image is interlaced the monitor then outputs 1/2 of the lines (384) on the even numbered lines, each of these lines is made up of 1366 dots. In the next frame it outputs the odd numbered lines, all 1366 dots in each line...Both frames happen so quickly your eye can't detect the fact that it only saw half the lines. This is happening at 30 or so frames per second. I progressive all 768 lines are being outputted with every frame. So I think the answer to your question is no the verticle lines are not "interlaced", but the whole image is being scaled down...

5. FlatEric

FlatEric Guest

Hmm..

If it is scaled down (1366/1920 = approx 70%) then you're saying I'm losing 30% of the image. I wouldn't consider this good value :eek:)

I know that it's still far superior to normal PAL/NTSC resolution but I would still feel a little cheated watching my shiny new plasma knowing that it's disposing of 30% of my clarity....

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to invest in a decent projector now... SWMBO will not ba happy.. :eek:)

6. Spliceman

Spliceman Guest

The thing is, I think its 30% that we've never even seen. Good luck finding a monitor (projector or otherwise) that has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. I think I read where JVC was coming out with a projector with a detached interface box, it was very slick but I can't find it again...

7. FlatEric

FlatEric Guest

I am sure I've got absolutely no hope of finding a 1920x1080 projector at a price that my bank manager would approve of. :eek:)

8. Spliceman

Spliceman Guest

My "bank manager" is addicted to TV and I still don't think she, - I could get approval for that level of $. ;-)