1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i vs 720p

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by gserve, Sep 17, 2006.

1. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

error5 is correct. If you have the 1080i checked in your PS3 display settings then 1080p sources (games or BluRay movies) will be output as 1080i automatically. 720p games will output as 720p automatically if the display supports it.

Ced: I did get the XA2 recently as dblbogey7 suggested and it definitely lives up to expectations. It outputs 1080p thru HDMI (which is version 1.3 BTW) and also has a great audio section. Since my SXRD was ISF calibrated for the A1 I was expecting that it would need recalibration for the XA2. However, the current settings seem to work well for the XA2 for both HD DVD and upconversion so I'll hold off for now.

2. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

As far as the games and the disks, It's starting to appear as you have to keep the HD DVD or Blu ray player in the native resolution of the disk... Learn something every day.

0ckc0,
    You're right...
    Nothing will beat real HD... People are misinformed about HD up converters a bit.

To get HD out of a an up-converting player you need the disk to be SHOT in HD.
    There is no way you can get HD from a disk that was shot in standard def. Can't get blood from a stone!

Unfortunately, the majority of SHOT in HD disks are adult films. I said this before, and I can understand why people would get upset with me... but I'm stating a fact.

First have a flat panel fixed pixel display of 720p or 768p..

Get a SHOT in HD disk...
    put the DVD player in 720x1280 through a HDMI connection,
    and you will not tell the difference from a mediocre HD broadcast like Two & Half men to that DVD up conversion!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  3. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

This is a very iteresting thread,

Hopefully you can help me with this question.

Im going to be using a PS3 in the UK, and want to get a HD TV.

I dont have a massive budget, also will be sitting 6-8 foot from TV, so was thinking a 37 or 42" would be best.

I was looking at the Sharp Aquos LCD TV's this topic seem to state that the Cheeper 786P is better than the 1080P is this correct, as I could afford either of the TV is the comparason below.

the only re-views I have read have been good apart from the sound, this is not a problem as I have a Sony AV-AMP with 5.1 setup.

any other recomendations will be handy. but want to know if to get the 1080P ot 786P, the PS3 as far as I know has 1080P and 720P output.

5D=26157634&Compare+Selected+Products.x=51&Compare+Selected+Products.y=10

4. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

5. error5

error5 Regular member

@DBM_Bones: Considering the minimal difference in price of the two I'm going to go out on a limb here and say get the 1080p model. There are these things to consider:

1. Your primary reason for getting the HDTV is a PS3.
    2. As programmers and developers get more comfortable with the inner workings of the Cell and the RSX you'll get to see more and more 1080p games. Some people here may disagree but I still believe that to get the best out of a 1080p game you need a 1080p display.
    3. BluRay movie playback looks good at 720p (I have a 720p LCD in my bedroom) but really shines on a 1080p display (as in my main setup).
    4. That price for a 42 inch 1080p Sharp Aquos is one of the best bargains I've seen for a 1080p display anywhere - even in GBP's. I guess some of the 1080p models are finally coming down in price.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  6. davecamp

davecamp Guest

HD --
    Your insights are probably saving folks quite a lot of money, and it's much appreciated. I hope you can give my situation the once-over...

Here's my equipment and situation:
    * SONY 42B2 -- 42" plasma -- http://www.picturephone.com/products/sony_pfm42b2_plasma_display.htm has the write-up on it, but it does NOT have hdmi or their listed DVI connection -- it has two 15-pin connectors.
    * A SONY STR-DE995 7.1 receiver (no DVI or HDMI throughputs or upconversions) -- http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony-STR-DE995~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com
    * I also have several things hooked up: A 5-DVD Sony player (because we load up our CDs in it, too); a Toshiba combo DVD/VCR recorder; a turntable; an all-region DVD player because we travel a lot and bring back a lot of foreign DVDs; my wife's Magic Sing karaoke microphone; a Gamecube.
    * I am using Comcast Cable (for HD local networks) using a brand-new Motorola HD DVR box, and
    * For everything else, a DishNetwork VIP622 HD DVR.
    Quite a pile o'stuff. Heaven knows how I'd connect a PS3 or high-def dvd player....

Basically this is what's happened:
    * When I added the Comcast in December after DishNetwork dropped all my networks, I started getting an interference bar that creeps into everything -- dvd, comcast, dish...I haven't experimented to know if it's direct caude-and-effect or not, but I never noticed it until we added Comcast, and they could not figure out the cause; they'd laid in all-new wiring.
    * I've gotten a bit of burn-in on the sides of the plasma. Not a lot, and I can live with it, but I'd considered putting it in the game room and replacing it with the Sony 46XBR, till I read your advice. I think I'll hold off.
    * Preparing for that purchase, I already bought a Sony STR-DA5200ES for its upgraded hdmi and DVI connections and upconverting capabilities. (I was told a replacement strip is available for my plasma that has a DVI connection but haven't found one yet...I also already have bought a DVI-to-15-pin adapter in case I can't locate one.) I haven't hooked it up, yet. http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_STR_DA5200ES_AV_receiver_7_1_channel/4505-6466_7-32058603.html Now I'm wondering if I should just put this back up on eBay...or if I'll actually improve anything using it.

I'm a bit frustrated here...any thoughts?

Thanks,
    -- David

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I just thought I would add to the discussion. I just now read this.

1080i looks better than 720p.

Only if you plan on looking at your game on pause. The truth is that 1080i only displays 540 lines every 60th of a second while 720p displays, wait for it..... 720 lines. While 1080i has a slight edge in sharpness, it often suffers from a slightly flickery look that can strain the eyes and cause breakup in fast-moving scenes. Most times, 720p and 1080i are just about even-- they each have strengths and weaknesses but you'll be hard-pressed to spot a big difference. And for HD video gaming, 720p is sometimes preferred for its smoother, slicker frame rate.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/97928.shtml

8. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

I have no experince with replacement strips, what I don't know I don't know. But if you read through this thread you see my reasons why I'm against 3rd party upconversions.
    I don't believe in using a stereo to upconvert.

Can someone help him out on the replacement strip?

9. error5

error5 Regular member

This sounds like GROUND LOOP.

http://siber-sonic.com/electronics/GLoopwhatis.html

10. afunguy24

afunguy24 Member

Do I have to go to college to understand what you guys are talking about?

11. Flameon

Flameon Member

720p is better for video games I've found, if you play a video game for 2 hours with 720p you feel fine, with 1080i you have a headeche.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

hummm not really but if audio/video isn't a passion/hobby like most of us you aren't going to get it or care lol

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

This statement is unfounded. There is no way 1080i causes head aches. If 1080i is giving you head aches its probably your tv set fault for not processing 1080i video correctly.

Ced

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you play a video game for two straight hours you need to get a life. Maybe the headaches are a sign that this is not healthy. I don't think you can tell too much difference in the two pictures more than six feet away anyway. JM2C

15. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

You lot don't play games much,

I have done 36hour and 24 hours person and charity gaming sessions.

I very rarly play for less than 2 hours.

and yes I do have a life also. but if im going to play I like to get into it. so on average its about 2-4 hours but I may only get play once a month.

16. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I have to agree here. I don't get to play much but when I do I end upo playing for quite a while. No I don't get headaches with 1080i. Yes I do need to get a life. LOL! Now back to the topic...

17. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Well I'm getting my SONY-KDL-40-W2000U on saturday.
    And getting SKY-HD on sunday
    so will post on how I find it, on SKY-HD and Normal TV and DVD,PC / Laptop, and PS2, don't have the PS3 yet so will post again on results.

I went with the sony not the sharp as the sharp does not have VGA input, but I think I have now found out you can convet VGA to Componet (not sure if this is right, but don't matter now ;))

Also I have a sony AV amp and DVD player PS etc so will match nicely.

18. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

How do the Bravia series 1080p LCD panels compare to the Samsung 1080p LCD's?

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@DBM_Bones and Flameon

I don't play at all anymore. Last was when I beat Legend of Zelda. Exhausting. Am considering getting a Wii. I was just messing with yall. What ever makes you happy is OK in my book.

20. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Well the screens are the same, I went for the sony cos of the better sound Q. built in freeview, and Badge (be easier to sell) and all my other stuff is sony. DVD AMP PS2 / PS3 VCR.

I must say Im very impressed, esp with the SD handling esp as the TV is only about 7' away. will be 8' when I get the lounge re-designed.

It does show how poor SKY HD is. 60% of content is on par with good SD DVD, 20% is worse than SD% DVD and 20% is better. not got sky movies HD9 tho which is got the best bandwidth and Q picture.