1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i vs 720p

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by gserve, Sep 17, 2006.

1. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. UHALL

UHALL Regular member

3. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

I only have room for a TV that is 36" wide. That Sharp is 35.8" wide, so it would fit. No one else makes a 37" TV that is under 36" wide. Plus it looks gorgeous and has a lot of great reviews.

The Onkyo does what those two recievers do, and its cheaper.

4. UHALL

UHALL Regular member

The Yammy has analog to digital video conversion

5. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Its also more expensive if I recall.

6. UHALL

UHALL Regular member

Yeah it is . The Onkyo and Sharp tv should do you good.

7. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

OK...
    My advice, it's good receiver, but I would not use that up convert VCR signals.

Why, that TV you're interested in has a great conversion chip and 3DYC digital filters.

The 480i signal is weak and to put it through a middle feed will weaken the signal a bit more. Plus, VCR signals don't have the juice for HDMI. HDMI is made for digital signals.
    Hook up a fire hose to the side of your house see how strong it comes out.

If you use the receiver, you are sending the signal to another station, where it will process it and send to the TV's HDMI.

One your putting an already weak signal to another station instead of directly in the set.

Two... when you do this you are bypassing the TV's 3DYC filter.
    What the 3DYC filter does is take all analog signals and put it through a state of the art processing. The HDMI is really made for digital transfer, but the 3DYC filter is made for 480i analog filtering.
    Also if you use an "S" cable you are by passing the 3DYC filter.
    It is said that "S" video is better than composite.
    It is if it is going to a TV that has no filter at all. It is then the "S" video is doing it's job.
    But today these sets have state of the art digital filters that are better than the "S" filter.
    I have the Sony Bravia XBR 768p lcd, I had my old Laser disk player connected with the "S" cable.
    I then read online what I just told you... that I was bypassing Sony's 3DYC digital filter. I then connected a thick yellow composite cable and the Laserdisk looked almost as good as the DVD.
    If you get that TV, use a thick yellow composite cable from the VCR "directly" into that Sharp and let the sets digital filters do the work and the set will filter it and scale it to a progressive format.

8. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Thanks guys.

Here is what I was planning on doing.

I was going to run my dish network reciever, ps2, and DVD player through the new Onkyo and into my new tv. My DVD player has composite cables, I am not sure what I can do with the PS2 as far as connections go, and my Dish receiver has composite, I think. I was planning on waiting a little while to upgrade to DishHD because it costs a few hundred dollars to upgrade when its all said and done. I was actually thinking of getting an indoor HD antenna to tide me over.

The main reason I was curious about the upconverting is because of the aformentioned sticking with standard dish for a little while. I was thinking that the upconverting of the dish hookup would make it look decent considering its still a standard reception.

Does that line of thinking make sense? And am I interperting upconversion properly?

My last question is, based on the HHgregg site, they say that tv does 720p, but doesn't do 1080i or 480p. Is that right? Or did they just not do the site right? I read it amazon it can do 720p and 1080i. But nothing about 480p.

9. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

OK..
    The set scales everything to 768p. If the signal is 480p...1080i...720p, it scales all to 768p. It's a fixed pixel display. It is designed to accept all 18 signals of the ATSC and dispay it in 768 progressive vertical lines.

10. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

I don't think that is upconverting the best way...
    Here is how to do it...
    Get the dish network HD box.... you put the box in 720p and that will upconvert all 480 signals to 720 directly by either HDMI or component.

My directv TIVO upconverts stations like the i network to almost HD quality.

Most HD boxes upconvert... check with Dish N....
    Upconversion will never match real HD... but some broadcasts will look very good... somewhere between EDTV and HDTV.
    The upconversion gives it the extra balls for the set to scale it to 768p rather than the set alone.

11. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Is that a good or a bad thing?

12. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Its going to be a little while before I upgrade to DishHD. Will my standard dish look ok on the TV? Will the upconverting of the receiver help with that at all?

13. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

768p, that is a good thing... you will never see interlaced programming.

The HD box from Dish network is a lot cheaper and a better connection/upconversion than the 700 dollar receiver you were interested in.
    Unless you're planning to use the HD over the air antenna what good is buying a HDTV without the box?

That TV will NOT be showing you any HD content in any way through the current dish network box you have. That is an analog box with an analog connection. It isn't going too look much better than regular TV.

A HDTV needs a HD signal...

You should stay away from middle man conversion, you want to go from the HD BOX 720p HDMI directly to the TV's HDMI.
    Not 480i composite to a receiver, than the reciever HDMI to the TV.

14. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

Also this should seal what I'm saying...
    From the link you provided here was an owner said of the receiver.

"The only cons are that the 674 only up-converts analog to 480i or in some cases 480p. So, other than up-converting the analog signals, it doesn't really up-convert anything else. It only passes along the digital signal at whatever resolution it is recieving it at - if 720p comes in then 720p goes out. As I understand it, this is really all you can do anyway, because up-converting a lower signal to a higher one does not really result in a better picture anyway - it pretty much will be equivalent to whatever the source resolution is."

Another one
    "I have too many picture issues to list here but i have to say this... you know when you take a video camera and record footage of a computer screen or tv and during playback of your footage you see a scrolling bar up or down the screen of the tv? well when i run the signal from my cable box to this onkyo receiver i get that on my plasma. if i connect directly from the cable to the plasma, then the picture quality is crystal clear perfect."

Confirms what I said about the 3DYC and avoiding a middle connection.
    Good luck!

15. gdodd12

gdodd12 Member

Well, I want the receiver so that I can use my surround sound speakers with DVD, PS2, and my dish. So I am going need the reciever anyway because my current one doesn't have HDMI or Component connections. I wasn't buying it with the upconversion as the soul purpose. That was more of an added bonus. Now that I think about it, I have my current dish receiver going straight into the tv AND I have it going into my current audio receiver. So I guess thats not a big deal. But the fact remains that I need a new receiver because then I can't watch anything through the speakers. At any rate, thanks for the info on the TV, which is what I was really looking for.

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

HDnut, does the cable HD boxes upconvert to 720p also?

17. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

The only cable box I know about is the COX RI, and that one does not.

18. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I've got a Comcast/Motorola and it doesn't upconvert, just to chime in.

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i called direct TY a while back and was told there HD-Box wouldn't upconvert the normal channels that aren't HD

20. HD_nut

HD_nut Regular member

Who ever you talked to didn't understand... they probably thought you meant making regular channels HD....
    Upcoverting does not make it real HD.. but a hell of a lot better than the native 480i.

I have had 3 Directv receivers... all upconverted

Here is the sat-520

Enhanced Scaler/Up-Converter/4 Line Y/C Digital Comb Filter
    Provides superior picture for NTSC/Analog Inputs

http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-HD-SAT520-DirecTV-Digital-Receiver/dp/B00006L7U2

The TIVO

DirecTV HR10-250 HDTV Satellite Receiver/Recorder

continued

"PERFORMANCE The HD10-250 performed flawlessly throughout my evaluation, never missing a selected program and always providing playback that was identical to the original. And the quality of standard-def programs seen on my 1080i-format HDTV confirmed that the HD10-250 does upconversion right — there were no digital artifacts or pasty faces"

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/av/716/...rder-page3.html

The way you know the box is upconverting for sure is when you hit the TV remotes display button... it tells you what resolution is going into the set. So when I have my TIVO on a native 480i channel like SCI FI... and I convert it 720p.... the TV remote display button says 720p... the same way my upconverting DVD player will say 720p on the TV display.
    When I change it to 1080i, the TV display will read 1080i going into set.
    There are a lot of bimbos answering the phone and not everyone there knows tech stuff.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007