1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p signal to a 1080i TV - What will happen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by solidated, Sep 26, 2007.

1. solidated

solidated Member

Hi. I'm new and could use some help on this. I have a Samsung HP-S4253 TV. The HDMI supports 480p, 720p and 1080i. What would happen if I connected a video source that was 1080p? Would I get a picture at all? Would it be blurry? Could it damage my TV? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It will try try to process the signal but then figure it can't and tell you the signal is not supported. If it is an HDMI connection the source device will just reset to the highest supported resolution which in your case is 1080i.

No you won't harm the TV promise.

Ced

3. solidated

solidated Member

Ced,
    Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. One question that your answer prompted... You mentioned that the source device will reset to the highest supported resolution, in my case 1080i. Is this the case with all HDMI sources? My source device is a Yamaha RX-V2700. I didn't see any mention of 1080i anywhere in the manual.

Thanks again.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

What source do you have that's 1080p?

5. solidated

solidated Member

I have a Yamaha receiver that I run everything through. It upconverts my video sources to 1080p.

BTW, since I posted this question I've gotten everything set up, and looking and sounding amazing. When I posted this I still had not set everything up.

Thanks for all the insight guys. It was very helpful.