1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GMX, Jul 3, 2005.

1. GMX

GMX Member

I have a good question about Tru-HD. From what I've heard, only the upcoming models of screens will support 1080p. However, I've noted a few things. Computers altogether are able to run high resolution progressive scan images. VGA and D-Sub generally can be used to run up 1200p. I have a computer and plasma screen in my den. I can get it to go to 1920x1080 in the settings panel. My father, however, claims that it is not actually 1080p, and that it actually uses a refresh rate of 30 frames. It only stands to reason that if most monitors (even an old CRT that I used to have) can run signals of 1200p, then so can plasma screens running VGA. It's also questionable how the refresh rate becomes limited as the resolution goes up. My low-end Radeon 9200 with my 15" LCD screen runs up to 768p75, but I'm not sure what the maximum resolution for my screen is. Anyone know if 1080p is only a myth now, or is it really more supported than people will claim?

2. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

I dont think 1080p is really supported on much of anything. Even the Toshiba Qosmio media laptop,doesnt claim it,and if anything might be capable it, would be that, so I would think. I know that Panasonic for one is supposed to be coming out with a true 1080P LCD rear projection HDTV, sometime this fall. Wont be cheap.

3. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Starting at 8k.....no thanks I will stick with my 1080 i projection lol

4. GMX

GMX Member

MarkGil: so on that line of thought, any resolution above 1280x960 would be forced onto a refresh rate of 43 hz, correct? That doesn't make sense, since video cards have supported beyond 1280x960 with 60 hz and above for a few years; are you saying that the resolution-refresh rate combinations used on video cards for years have had absolutely no use whatsoever since they actually refresh at a lower rate? It makes no sense that 1920x1080p60 could only now be supported since resolutions and refresh rates higher have been around for several years.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What projector is this?

There are a few screens out there supporting 1080i/p

6. GMX

GMX Member

er...everything in the large range (above 30") and all lcd tvs support 1080i. That's why they're called HDTV. It's questionable how much actually supports 1080p though.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes, support it, i actually meant play it back at HDTV quality, as in actually supporting the format fully.