1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10GB - somewhere, on my pc - need the space - how can i find and delete it?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by -LoNeR-, May 27, 2004.

1. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey,

i have a slight problem - i only have one drive, (yes only one) and some how there is 10GB missing it says i have 22.5GB spare - but my whole C drive is only about 5Gb at most (eg program files, documents and settings etc) and theres nothing in my documents or anyone elses.

i have also reinstalled windows xp after a slight problem if that is anything to do with it.....

now i need to know where that space is and to free it up, for future use (the very near future) it is affecting my computer performance whenever i put more than 5 gigs on now, any and [bold]ALL[/bold] help will be greatly appreciated

my regards

Dean

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi LoNeR, One program I heard of that causes something like your problem is I think called Norton System Works. I don't have it so I'm not sure the name is right. Anyway it has a hidden protected recycle bin somewhere. I think you right click the recycle bin and purge the Norton area. Like I said, I don't have it but I know it ties up HD space until you purge it. Don't know if this will help you or not.

Jerry

3. Buik

Buik Regular member

I was wondering where HD space was disappearing to also. So much space was being used by system files.

Well, went a bit radical several days ago and un-installed Roxio "Go Back". Got back about 11-12GB by doing that.

I too had been searching folders. Roxio strikes again. All that space was tied up by a program that was supposed to make life easier. You have to look in the unusual places to find your answeres. Thought Roxio Go Back was a good thing for awhile.

TC

4. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey,

thanks very much, although i dont use norton products i stay well away form them... cheers for teh quick reply tho, anyone else got a suggestion?

5. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey buik

Roxio go back, i dont have that program - could system restore take it up?

cheers for the tip, do you know of a program to look in everywhere, show me hidden files? possible treesize pro?

Cheers man

6. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Ok, Windows XP has a few storage hoggs. Like Restore, Hibernation, Temp files etc...

Most likely that System Restore is hogging all that space. On my 120G, if i had Sys Restore on, it would hog about 14G of my HDD..

Regards
    CoZZa

7. Buik

Buik Regular member

Not familiar with System Restore. But, if it stores a back up file, like "Go Back" apparently did, then it is storing the files on your HD. Kind of like cancer. It keeps growing until you get rid of it.

Sorry I can't be more help than that. I keep all vital stuff on removable media and don't worry much about putting the system back in order. I should but I don't.

After a car crash, it's impossible to turn back time to when everything was right.

Cheers, Salute & Tip Shi Da

TC

8. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

RightClick My Computer, go down to properties then Click the System Restore tab. It will say how much space it uses.

Regards
    CoZZa

9. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

i turned off system restore but only got 1gb back.........

this really has me puzzled, any other ideas? because i really need the space.....

cheers in advance

Dean

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Pagefile?

11. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

where can i locate pagefile?

Dean

12. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

C:\Windows -> Pagefile.sys

The Page file should b a little bigger than the amout of ram u have eg i have 512mb RAM, and mine is about 750mb

Regards
    CoZZa

13. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

i had same problem had 8 gig missing seems it was reserved for system restore.now got it sorted.

14. Praetor

If you are having problems finding the file, turn off any form file hiding and then do a search for *.* and sort by filesize :) You might also want to check \documents and Settings\<account>\LocalSettings\Temp
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  15. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

lol, cheers for the advice and sorry i dident reply sooner....

i formatted - it solved the problem

Dean

16. Praetor

Ya that will do the trick :p

17. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yep, sure does :D

Regards
    CoZZa

18. Wise

Wise Member

Buy a new hard drive. Hard drives can be gotten for less than $1.00 a gig now and my smallest is 80 gig in any of the computers I have built.

19. erichm

erichm Guest

You might want to check if you have a partition of your drive that has not been formatted.

To check go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management or disk management I forgot which one. This will show you your physical hardrives and the partitions. Check and see if there is one that is unallocated or not active.

20. Praetor

Or in really wierd cases, you have manually set your HDD size in bios :)