1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$1500 pc

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Darxdog, Oct 26, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Find somewhere that will do international delivery. A Few US stores will do it (though sadly not newegg) or alternatively find somewhere closer to Mauritius.

2. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why is it called Intel SLI gaming when it uses crossfire, not SLI? This site already loses my confidence when building PCs. Here's what's wrong with that build:
    1. i7s are overpriced (very) compared to i5s for gaming, which are better
    2. Asus motherboards are unreliable
    3. OCZ RAM can be unreliable
    4. Modern Seagate HDDs are unreliable
    5. HD4850s are old news, you'd be better off with a single HD4890 or HD5850.
    6. OCZ PSUs can be dodgy

The Dell XPS M1530 is a popular laptop as it is reasonably well built. However, it does not have a graphics card capable of playing games. Literally any games. Even basic 5-6 year old games like Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 will be very laggy or unplayable. None of the laptops in this list can play any games except the Inspiron T735 with its HD3650 - that can play some games, not at all well (thepair of HD4850s in the desktop is 30-50x as powerful as the HD3650 mobile) but it will actually play old titles at minimum settings. Also take note - the reason it's on there for cheap is that it's Pink. Do you really want a pink laptop?

4. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

thnx ... im gonna buy parts from uk and tell my friend to bring em
    i will play most upcoming games on this pc such as assasins creed 2 and modern warfare 2 ...

so ... any good parts to suggest ?

motherboard ?

is gigabyte good ?
    what brand/model do u suggest ?
    does gigabyte motherboard support crossfire ?

ram ?
    ddr3 is good ?
    and 6 gb ?
    corsair or other brand ?

processor
    im gonna take the intel i5 BUT More specifically which one ?

gfx card

... ill buy one locally... u suggest ati ... which model more specifically ? and crossfire or not ?

btw ... u know any good shops in london to get pc parts?

mouse , keyboard and hdd[1 160gb and 1 80gb both sata ... i dont need much hdd and it is fairly cheap] and cdrom and other peripherals already have ...
    again ... thnx for all your help ...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Gigabyte makes very good motherboards.
    I suggest this model:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128404
    Yes it supports corssfire and SLI.

As per your RAM, none, the i5 as well as the i7 800 series mobos only support 4 GB or 8 GB. Not 3 or 6 like the i7 900 series does.

Theres only one i5 processor on the market.

The video card thing was covered as to what models to get. As for going Crossfire(hint at what brand of card to get), more then likley no. You dont need it.

As for hard drives, these are important to. Dont cheap out on them as you can expect failure if you do and there goes all your data. Plus its still an important part of gaming performance. I would suggest this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148309
    Although you can actually get a 1 TB drive for not much more.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P55M-UD4 is a great microATX board, but Darxdog doesn't necessarily need an SFF PC as far as I can see, so he may as well use this board instead and save £25:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Giga...-E-20(x16)-DDR3-1066-1333-2200-SATAIIRAID-ATX
    Gigabyte boards support crossfire, this one included.
    The i5 750 is indeed the only i5, no matter, as it's a great performer at a great price.
    I would suggest one of these:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-...U-725MHz-1440-Cores-DP-2x-DVI-HDMI-plus-Dirt2
    You may need to have a look around in the UK though, as the 5850s are very difficult to find.
    A 250GB HDD in this day an age? I don't think so...
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/640-...aviar-Blue-SATA-300-7200-rpm-16MB-Cache-89-ms
    Here's some reasonably priced DDR3 RAM:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-XMP

Local PC shops in the UK are real ripoffs and don't have any good parts, your best bet is to order from a UK site like Scan.

7. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

well first ... what is sff pc ?

4gb ram seems fine and the mobo sammo linked seems fine except that it does not support i7[if ever i wanna upgrade] and it supports ddr3 up to 16 gb which is ultra fine but supports only crossfire and i want to move to nvidia geforce ... ill have only one card

ill browse the scan.co.uk ... [thnx for the link] and ill see

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes it does, LGA1156 supports i5s and the i7 800 series. It is impossible for a motherboard to support the i5s and the i7 900 series as they are different size chips.
    At this rate, nvidia are going to be pulling out of the gaming market altogether, so I wouldn't worry about needing to use their technology in the future. I'm pretty sure that board supports CF and SLI anyway.

9. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

What makes you say that? Nvidia pulling out completely? Im a ATI man but still.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because the GTX300 series being a complete failure and poor sales of the 275/285 have basically cost nvidia all the profit they make on their lower end cards, so for the time being, they're pulling out of the 'graphics cards that are any good' market.

11. NasGhost

NasGhost Member

Do you have proof of the GT 300 being a "complete failure" or is that speculation from Nvidia not being able to produce anything feasibly real so far?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's from nvidia's production yields being so low that they have to pay thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars to produce each working GPU, such that they had to fake the card at the tech demonstrations.

13. NasGhost

NasGhost Member

Fake card I saw, yield rumors I heard, which were supposed to be dismissed. I cant really imagine Nvidia being out of the GPU game though.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

nvidia dismissed it, but all the evidence is true, the 275 and 285 are being pulled from shelves, and the 300 has no real production prototype yet..

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Darxdog, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 612,366 bytes, 350x48 pixels, 1 line of text.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

16. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

sammoris .. are u anti-nvidia or pro-ati ? because i would more or less need a neutral advice for the choices -.-

17. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  18. Darxdog

Darxdog Member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

First post: Not really, I was never a great fan of nvidia due to their suspicious marketing practices, but really, if it's clearly the better choice for someone to buy an nvidia product, I will tell them that. It's been a long time since that's been the case very often though (since the HD4800 series arrived, in fact).
    Second post: The i7 920 (1366) despite the cost is worse than the i5 750 (1156) for games. Don't buy a 1366 CPU for gaming now the 1156 is out, it's throwing money away. For the record, I never advise Asus products any more due to quality concerns.
    Third post (there is an edit button btw): Ignoring the X57 boards due to the reasons above, you actually posted i5 memory for the i7 anyway, so the RAM is reasonable, but the only GOOD RAM is the last of the three for £84.09. Speed makes a difference.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Darxdog, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 171,255 bytes, 350x19 pixels.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.