1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15mb/s Cable vs 1mb/s DSL, worth it for value?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by fuel_f2f, May 2, 2008.

1. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I want the great advice of Afterdawn users to help me out with this.

So heres the deal, I want to save money. I currently have 15mb/s cable, but I can get a really great deal on 1mb/s DSL. I know what your thinking... Even if the cable is bogged down it will out-perform the DSL hands down. Yes I know this. But a key point for me is that my computer is very old and slow, so I'm not able to harness the speeds of the cable.
    I'm running on a Netvista 2257-72u thats got a PIII 935mhz with 256mb PC133 Ram. Needless to say this isn't very fast.

So what I'm askingis, will my computer see a major difference in speed for browsing and gaming(I only play a single low req 2d space game www.cosmicrift.com).
    Is my computer able to use the cable for what its worth? Or am I almost just as well off with the 1mb/s DSL? I can get good speeds when using Bandwidth testers, but in real world downloading and surfing, its nothing impressive. I can use torrents and get about 200-300kb/s and I get about 110-130ms ping in my game. Will I see a big change if I switched from 15mb/s cable to 1mb/s DSL?

Also take into consideration I live in an area with lots of apartment buildings, and my current ISP is 1 of the 2 major ones here, so almost everyone is using this cable so its obviously going to get dogged down by this alone.

Any and all help in determining how much change I will see is greatly appreciated, I wouldn't switch but the cable is bundled with phone for $76/month and the DSL with phone would be $40. I could really use the extra $36/month if theres no big change in speed.

Thanks in advance for all help and info.

Cable ISP is Eastlink (www.eastlink.ca)
    DSL ISP is Primus (www.primus.ca)

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

If you do a lot of major downloading than you'll notice a difference. From my DSL I would max out at 150kb per second, on cable I get about 750kb per second.

Also when I had DSL, there where days when my connection would not work or would work very slow, this happened several times per month. With the cable connection I have currently it's been rock solid.

DSL is better than dialup, but it's not what I would call high speed. But if you don't do any major downloading it is a better value in the long run.

3. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Turns out Primus doesn't like Atlantic Canada and doesn't offer it, the only other company that offers DSL offers 3mb/s for only like $5-$10 cheaper than my 15mb/s cable and they have 5mb/s for the same as my cable... So I guess I'm sticking with my Cable...

Thanks for the response.

4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

EDITED by Pop_Smith, I posted my reply and while doing so the problem was solved. >.<

Last edited: May 4, 2008