1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16/9 stretch problems

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Morgtom, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Morgtom

Morgtom Guest

Hey people, i have a lot of avi files that i want to put onto dvd and have been testing out the process following guides on here and other websites. The problem i have been having is that the video with is stretched and makes everything look fat. I can correct this in the dvd menu if i select 16/9, but a lot of the people i will be giving this dvds to do not no how to change settings. Normally when i select 16/9 on a store bought DVD it stretches the video vertically.

Ok so this is the situation:
    I have a PAL, 25 frames/s XVID with a resolution of 672 x 288. The avi synth script i used was:
    AVISource("C:\dvd\Xvid.avi", False)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,308)
    Addborders(0,134,0,134)

I used a Java calculator to achieve the resize and borders.
    Then i ran QuEnc and selected 16/9 in options and hit encode.

The resulting dvd was stretched longways and could be fixed as state above by setting the dvd to 16/9 in the menu.

My questions are:
    Where have i gone wrong?
    Is QueEnc a good encoder? Is there another encoder i should use?

Well thanks for reading this boring post, and thanks very much if you can reply.

Cheers,
    Tom

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try this and see if the results suit.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, WMV,MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I'm no expert here but here's a few comments.

Are you converting to NTSC?

I would assume this is the problem. 134 is a very large number a 16:9 encode. You could try setting your encoder to 4:3 and see if the AR now looks correct. Your source appears to be 2.33.

I'm assuming NTSC. If I take your 134+134 = 268. Dividing 480 by 268= 1.79, correct for 4:3.

If you want to encode at 16:9 try Addborders(0,48,0,48) and see how that works. Seeing as your source is 2.33 you will still have black borders top and bottom.

A 16:9 NTSC encode usually shows as 853 x 480. If you take 48 (the new border figure) x 2= 96. 480 - 96= 384. Dividing 853 by 384= 2.22 (close enough to you original AR).

QuEnc is a decent encoder, but many feel that HCenc (free) is one of the best, rivaling the pay ones.

If you want a free all in one solution try AVI2DVD. You can use either QuEnc or HCenc and compare the results. You can also inspect it's generated AviSynth scripts for some insight. It's PAL to NTSC conversions are very nice as it uses pulldown, rather just repeating frames, to get to NTSC's 29.976 fs. One thing to note rename your file with just letters, numbers, and spaces.

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html

You can also try FitCD to generate scripts, for me though the AR always seems a tad off, while AVI2DVD's tends to be right on. It is great though for those who want to adjust for overscan issue as you can easily add borders.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FitCD

Here's another free alternative. If you want to use HCenc, download it and change the name to HCenc.exe (the large exe) and point AVS to it.

With this app you can play/alter the generated script before starting, nice for adding small borders all around (overscan issues). You can also choose Lanczos4Resize which is purported to provide better image quality. But for NTSC folks there is no pulldown.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/AVStoDVD.shtml

Note HCenc does take a long time, but the results can be very impressive.