1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 Bit Windows Program

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by kaye4311, Mar 10, 2005.

1. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

I have just started receiving a message after connecting to the internet. I don't understand what it means neither do I know how to rectify the problem, can anyone help me please?

A window appears with the title:
    "Can't run 16 bit windows program"
    Within the window it states:
    "Insufficient memory to run this application. Quit one or more windows applications and then try again."

This message appears following me connecting and appears even if I only have one window open. If I click on ok I can carry on without any problems and without this message appearing again.
    Can anyone explain to me why this is occurring and what to do in order to rectify it?
    I would be very thankful if someone can help me.
    kaye4311.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

3. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

Firstly Thank you very much for taking the time to help me , much appreciated. The story so far, I have downloaded and installed Xp Service pack 2 and then followed all the steps listed in your hyperlink. I checked the settings in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE as instructed and they were as they should be! However I now receive the warning message as soon as the desktop appears. Cookies, tempory internet files deleted, a defrag later and I am still no further on.
    Could it be that although I have 256Mb of memory I need more? I also noticed that I have at least 39 processes running at this very moment, are certain applications bleeding my system dry of memory?

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

? Do a Free Scan of your PC here :_ http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

? Also you should run the ABC of virus,malware and spyware detection programs ; Ad-Aware SE , SpyBot and CWShredder.

? You can run msconfig and look on the Startup Tab if you have a program there that look suspicious -- untick some and try a reboot --- you may find that you have been infected by what is called a "Bot" - short for robot , a malicious script that is attempting to load at startup. Those are quite often picked up on websites where the html code requires you to close a window .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

That is a LOT.
    I try to keep mine trimmed down to 25 or so, even less if you're not networked.
    Look at the "XP services guide" from www.blackviper.com
    This guy knows what he's talking about, and you can trim stuff down nicely.

6. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

Thank you both so much for your replies. I ran a spyware/adware program and removed all present, I also trimmed down my procceses and ran a virus scan. When I switched on my computer today it certainly wasn't a happy bunny. I backed up everything stored, formatted my computer and re installed xp, needless to say I no longer get the error message. I have 256 Ram at present and have decided to buy additional memory, in order (hopefully) that this message does not reoccur. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated!!
    Kaye4311.