1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 bit windows subsystem error

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by conan6972, Oct 18, 2004.

1. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

What drive letter is the CD-ROM that you put your XP CD into?

Open up My Computer and have a look to see. Also while you are there, double check to see if there is a I386 direcotry on the CD.

Then
    Click on start, then go to Run.. now time in CMD

Now it should bring up a black box with something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\>

Now u have to make sure your windows XP disc is in there

expand X:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
    (PRESS ENTER)
    expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    (PRESS ENTER)
    expand X:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
    (PRESS ENTER)
    exit
    (PRESS ENTER)

Now replace the X: with the drive letter, it might be, D:, E:, F: etc...

The command prompt way should work, as long as you are typing it correctly and are specifying the correct drive that the CD is in.

CJC

2. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

I have just had exactly the same error message appearing on my desk top. I read all the threads and started with your last list of instructions...start, run...CMD, etc. I have windows xp home edition and placed my xp disc in my cd rom (drive F) so replaced all the drive letters with F. Everytime I pressed enter it came up with destination not specified.
    After several times of trying this and restarting my computer I had no success.

I clicked start, then run...and typed in c:\windows\repair after doing this I found the file called autoexec and right clicked to copy file. I then typed c:\windows\system32 in the run box and pasted the offending file in here and went back to the repair folder and deleted the autoexec file.
    It seems to have done the trick, the error message is no longer appearing.

3. forkndave

forkndave Member

I wouldn't have deleted the autoexec.nt file from the repair folder. If you need it again you won't have it. I would copy and paste it back in there if it was me. It won't hurt anything to have the same file in two different places at the same time.

4. tegsy

tegsy Guest

Thanks Kaye4311 that seems to have solved it! thanks also to CJC and forkndave for your advice.

5. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

Thanks for the advice forkndave have copied and pasted it back to the repair folder.

6. mark217

mark217 Member

All I can say is thank you very much! I had a rather expensive CD ROM with some academic materials on it. I ran into the "16 bit subsystem error." I simply copied the Config.nt file from c:\windows\repair and then I pasted it within c:\windows\system32 folder. It worked right away. I am so very grateful for the advice available on this forum. I thank those of you who are kind enough to take the time to share your expertise with those of us who are not as good at working with the inner files of the computer.

7. 85shark

85shark Guest

Thanks to all you people who take the time to pass on this information in terms even i can understand and use to cure these problems

8. gaiwes

gaiwes Guest

I have read the answers to the problem
    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    but I don't know how to or were to go to copy and paste from
    any help for dummy please

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go thru windows explorer to your windows folder on c: drive, scroll down to repair folder & left click it, on right side you'll see all files in that folder, find autoexec.nt right click it, menu comes up left click copy than scroll down leftside to system32 folder, left click that folder to highlite it than right click for menu & left click paste, it might ask you if you want to replace existing file press yes. than repeat process for config.nt & it should be fixed. post back result

10. gaiwes

gaiwes Guest

Thanks it work great

11. dumblonde

dumblonde Member

Guys, I just want to thank you for helping me out. I had the same problem when trying to install a Trust wireless tablet, so I typed "Windows Subsystem" into Google and ended up here! I'm new to the "secret inside files" of a computer but your instructions gave me the courage to have a go at fixing the problem myself....and I'm happy to say that it works!! I was a little unsure to type "expand" into the CMD but decided to take your tips at face value. I'm really pleased with myself and can't thank you all enough. Hope you all have a great 2005!!

12. slyfubar

slyfubar Member

Every time i try to install delta force it comes up with this message C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT not sutible for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows apllications. I used to be able to play the game until tried to reinstall it after taking it off for another game. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to fix this problem. I have been looking for a solution for a long long time.

13. slyfubar

slyfubar Member

I have tried the inputing the commads for cmd but i dont know what cd to use i have 3 they are gateway operating system, gateway drivers, or gateway apllications if thos arnt it can you please tell me what im looking for

14. ppf

ppf Member

Need some help here. I got the 16 bit Windows error. Tried the fix on Microsoft's website, but when I typed the first command in, it said there was no e:\i386\whatever file. So I copied the config.nt into c:\windows\system32 from c:windows\repair. It didn't overwrite anything, which I found weird. Anyways, here's where it gets a bit odd. First time I try to run the install program, it no longer gives me the 16 bit error, but instead says it can't find run.dll. I run it again without doing anything, and it installs fine. I run the game, it works, but one menu into the game, it always freezes. I've tried this several times, and always one menu in it freezes. Anyone?

15. ppf

ppf Member

Nevermind, I managed to get it working. Still freezes occasionally, but the CD's pretty beat up, so I imagine it's that, not Windows.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try it on another computer to see if have same problem with it

17. kingh

kingh Member

I have found a way, the quikest, not need to edit or to paste or to reinstall. Just go to one web site http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

download the xp_fix.exe and you will be fine.

18. JMCCAU01

JMCCAU01 Guest

I had the same error message read your posts tried it my
    machine is now fixed thank you

19. itzzitzz

itzzitzz Member

When I checked my windows\system32 folder, the autoexec.nt file was missing completely. I just copied the one from the windows\repair folder into windows\system32.

It worked perfectly and finally allowed me to install sql server 2000.

20. kalmeq

kalmeq Guest

thx a lot i had same prob and now its ok