1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16th bd party

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by emachine, Oct 4, 2006.

1. emachine

emachine Guest

Nope, I have plenty of time, Lol not until dec 13

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hehe, well, those campers can get pretty big, too. the fifth wheel uses a gooseneck connection, just like the trailers on big rigs.

3. emachine

emachine Guest

Right, when most people say 5th wheel they mean camper. Yeah I mean, if you hauling equipment everyday then you need a large truck, but like me if you just use it to haul, lawnmowers to lawn jobs and fourwheelers and dirtbikes, then you don't need a beast.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

which is why right now all i own is my car here and an old ram 1500 at home. ^.^ i only use it on the weekends, and for those purposes, it works well.

5. emachine

emachine Guest

Yeah, I guess like most people we have a weekend truck, boat, dirtbike, but we haul farm equipment on are 18 foot trailer.

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

god, i want a diesel in my subie now....research the 2.5 liter diesel they have coming out.

7. emachine

emachine Guest

We, have a diesel in out VW Beetle, its kinda cool, gets 40 mpg, and has a turbo, it should last twice as long as the gas.

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

engine swap in the next few years ^.^

9. emachine

emachine Guest

lol, I think its cheaper to jus buy a new car.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i have no plan whatsoever to get rid of the subie. i'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, then keep it in my garage until i can rebuild it and be buried in it. ^.^ engine-swap, ho!

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@emachine...ah, still some time before the big event then. It's odd how you have three big birthdays all so close to each other...16, 18 and 21. Because of the draft and the viet-nam war, 18+ birthdays weren't something to look forward to when I was a that age. I was a divinity student so I avoided it for awhile. As soon as you'd turn 18 or just before, you'd get the dreaded "draft notice" telling you to report for a physical.

LOL! I just had this great flashback of my friend Pete at my draft physical. You had a couple of hundered guys lined up buck nekkid and you'd be instructed to "bend over and spread 'em". Pete was older than me so this was a yearly ritual for him as his butt was his ticket out. When the medical people told you to straighten out, Pete would yell "Hey, look closer!" He had hemmoroids which kept him out of the service so you can bet that he yelled it out loud and clear to make them nasty little varicosities public knowledge LMAO!

12. emachine

emachine Guest

lol, thats nasty! So you were drafted?

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i thought he had been able to avoid it. *scritches head*

gerry, you need to write your autobiography. ^.^

14. emachine

emachine Guest

naw, that was his friend he said who was able to avoid it.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i still believe gerry said at one time he was able to avoid the draft, though.

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Oh, I avoided the draft alright...and ended up in the Marine Corps! I avoided it for a couple of years because I was in school; I was a divinity student. When I left school, I was going to get nailed with the draft for sure and that was a sure ticket to viet nam ... I joined the navy's medical corps, trained as an OR tech and then, much to my surprise, I got orders transfering me to the marine corps and I was sent to Camp LeJeune in North Carolina...the Marine Corps is the department of the navy and all it's medical personal are transfered from the ranks of the navy. I was training for medical service in Viet Nam when Nixon did me a huge favor! While it still went on to varying degrees until 75, Nixon significantly slowed troops in 72 and started pulling out in 73 so I was lucky enough to stay at LeJeune when things started to reverse in August of 72. Believe it or not, I actually rather enjoyed the Marine Corps once I didn't have to worry about getting sent somewhere and shot. I was a corpsman though; I don't think I would have enjoyed it as a regular grunt! They were into some serious wierdness bordering on the S&M which, as a corpsman, I didn't really have much to do with. I wore their uniforms and still had to do all the physical crap, force marches, time in the field etc. but shit, that was fun. The military "Yes Sir, No Sir" crap I wouldn't have been able to deal with to that MC degree but I didn't have to because of my job.

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

whew, ger, glad you're still around and not all fecked up like many 'Nam vets.

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Aus and emachine: well, I was seriously pissed off, that's for sure but so were all of us; taking you from the navy and the nice clean hospitals and putting you in the marine corps and nasty dirty swamps was rather underhanded LOL! I took to it well though because I'd been an avid hiker and camper since I was a kid so I was perfectly at home with much of what we did and our activities in the field. I felt really bad for some of my friend though whose only experience in the woods was driving through them in their car from time to time LOL!

There's a certain genius to the way you're indoctrinated though. Marines are into this loyalty/strict discipline stuff. They are taught to surround and protect their corpsman at all times. Even if its just in a damned bar, at the slightest cause, they'll protect you like your own personal entourage of body guards. If you're in the field and you belly crawl to a wounded marine, one will always get in front of you and crawl on his side so he'll be in the line of fire and not you! So, you go to the marine corps really pissed off and you might even stay pissed off but their dedication to you're safety is contagious and slowly, the welfare of these guys becomes you're only concern. Interesting study in human nature LOL!

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i have to say that i wish more social groups were like that. there might be a lot less violence in the world if everyone looked out for everyone else.

20. emachine

emachine Guest

Wow that would suck, I'll prob. join the airforce after college. My dad was saying he did the same thing you did, he had a real low draft ticket and he joined up, but ended up not getting picked lol.