1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st DVD Backup, perfect, 2nd & 3rd, no go! WHAT?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JMears, Feb 9, 2005.

1. JMears

JMears Guest

I just got a new LiteOn DVD Burner, I guess it is plus and minus (it's got both) So I use one of the LiteON DVD+R (Dual Layer? Silver) discs that it came with and make a perfect backup (following the guide from this site using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink just as described), then I go out and buy a new stack of Maxell DVD+R and start with my next backup. This burn seems to work fine, then I go to play it on my DVD player and about an hour into the movie it begins to "hiccup". From here I can hardly skip through chapters cause of these glitches. I try burning the same ISO file with another of the same stack, again, more glitches now later on the movie! I then used the other single layer LiteOn DVD+R (this one is gold- if that matters) to try again. Now in the DVD player, it got all the way to the credits, then started the glitching.
    Is the problem the DVDs? -R +R -RW +RW or should I be doing something I'm not?
    I'd honestly offer up my first born for any help to correct this. I don' think I need anymore glitchy copies of the same movie! =)

2. Paxil

Paxil Member

Hey. Just wondering, what speed are u burning at?

And - What brand of DVD player are you using? I have heard of some compatability issues using +R with some players.

3. JMears

JMears Guest

I have just kept DVD Decrypter set to burn at MAX speed. The DVD -+ RW Drive I have burns +R at 16x and -R at 8x. Like I said the silver samnple DVD+R the drive came with worked fine. But the MAXELL DVD+R (8x) from Wal-Mart have created these, glitchy backups. I have a pretty new DVD player and like I said the first one worked fine. Perhaps if I knew of a brand that was working for everyone I could buy some of those to diagnose if the problem was the blank DVDs or something else. YOu think the burn speed has something to do with it?
    Thanks for the reply!

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I believe you answered your own question:

Every Burner has recommended media and I think you just found some that are not!

Change your media to what your burner suggests.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. trinth

trinth Member

goto your settings and slow the speed of ur burn process down. goto c drive the find your burner right click and goto properties, then change the speed to 2x or 2.4x depends on ur burner but go there and slow the burn process down apply an ok it then it'l do just fine.

6. Paxil

Paxil Member

I am using Ridata 4X DVD+R's in my LiteOn(model 1633s) and they are working for me (can even play them in my playstation2 which is the worst DVD player on the planet). It sounds like maybe your burner doesn't like the Maxell. If you have been burning these at 8X, I suggest trying again at 4X and see if you get the same results.

7. JMears

JMears Guest

So what is the purpose of buying a 16x DVD-+RW drive if you have to slow the speed to get a good backup? Just wondering. Sounds like "Hey here's a new faster DVD burner, that you have to slow down to 2x if you want to be able to actually watch the backup DVD." =)
    ALSO, if I have a dual layer 16x burner (even if I do slow the burn speed down to fix this problem) should I be using DVD+R or DVD-R Discs? My burner says it burns the first at 16x and the latter at 8x. THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005