1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1xPCIe vs 2xPCI Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by fuel_f2f, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

PCI bracket fan cards never usually do that much good to be honest, you're best off ignoring them.
    As for the HDD cooler, hard drives run perfectly cool enough if your case has a front intake fan blowing across them. If it doesn't, an HDD cooler is a wise purchase.

2. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

The fan is pretty cheap... not great air flow so I was thinking... I was gonna have the Hard Drive close to my Cd Drive bays, and mount a fan in the open slot and take off the grill cover... This would be so that It would push the warm air taken from the hard drive by the HDD cooler and push it out the front. Is this a good idea or not practical?

Here's a rough diasgram:
    [​IMG]

Obviously blue arrows is cool air, red is warm and the green line is the hard drive/cooler.

Would this be worth the effort? Or would it be best to have the fans pull air in the front pushing the warm air out the back?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The pic isn't working.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fuel, if you want the full image, take the last link 'direct link to image' - if you want us to see the preview page, just type the URL rather than using the square bracket syntax.

It's not a good idea to have a front exhaust fan, unless you use a side intake fan, you will have more air coming in than out, by all means use this bay system but you may as well have it blowing in rather than out.
    Have you considered a Scythe Kama Bay?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=532631

5. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I figured having the front fan going out would be best, but sometimes theres tricky things that seem simple, not so, which is why I asked if its better to suck air in. I'm planning on having at least 1 side mounted fan sucking air in, rear fan and PSU fan blowing out, bottom front vent would suck in and the fan(s) in the bays blow out (as well as the HDD fan blowing heat up to the bay fans to exit it)

I figured more air going out was better as it would create a suction effect to more efficiently remove the warm air inside...

The pic is found here:
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8962/powerupij7.png

Also, with this setup... would it be best to have 2 side fans? Side by side sucking air into the front and back? Cause I was thinking I could drill 2 holes in my side case, and mount 2x 120mm fans.

This sound good?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't have unevenly matched airflow in case and it work to your advantage really, you can't force more air out if it can't get in fast enough! :)
    General convention is:

Front/Side/Bottom: in
    Rear/Top/PSU: out

If you have bigger/faster fans blowing in than out, you can afford to have fewer of them, but they key is in the balance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Right on, thats why I was wondering if I should have fans in front push the heat from the hard drive fan out or back to the rear fans... I wasn't sure if I'd be interrupting the air flow...

I never really thought Of mounting a fan on the top...

8. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Got the New Comp up and Running... My local Comp store got me a great deal on a WD 500GB HD rather than the 320GB. They said I wouldn't need the HD fan and that this drive is even faster and runs cooler, plus they gave me thermal paste for free... So I got more and spent less money... thats what I like about them, they will actually tell you NOT to buy things if you don't need it.

So anyways, I'm up and running. I just wanna make sure my Temps and fans are working right.

I'm using SpeedFan for this.
    Fan1: 2431 RPM
    Fan2: 2890 RPM
    Temp1: 17C
    Temp2: 23C
    Temp3: -128C (obviously something wrong with compatibility with SF and my Mobo?)
    HD0: 26C (usually between low 20's and mid 30's)
    Core: 6C (usually between 6 and 12)

My fans seem a little loud and the RPm a little high... shouldn't these be around 2000 RPM? Especially since my CPU fan is rated for 2200 RPM... But my case fan is rated for 2600 RPM... But since I'm running cool, I'd like to slow it down... (cause its also the cheap one from my old comp I spent $10 on thats rated for an ugly 30dBa)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well if it's too loud then make the a little slower.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fans often spin faster than rated. The Freezer 7 Pro's 2400rpm commonly runs at 2700, and the 1000rpm Nexus case fans I use actually run at 1080-1100.

As for your case fan, noise not only depends on the speed, but also the size. A 2600rpm 80mm fan will be a bit noisy but acceptable, a 2600rpm 120mm fan will be practically deafening.

11. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Is SpeedFan a good and SAFE application to adjust and control Fans? I don't wanna do anything wrong here.

Also, since nothing was said, I assume my Temps are within the norm?

Also, is there any particular app you guys would suggest for doing Burn In tests on my comp... Just wanna see how good its running and if theres any small things that needs adjusting.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Speedfan should work fine.

Also Prime95 works well for testing OCs. Just make sure you get the latest version that supports quad cores.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I recommend Speedfan as well. I use it almost exclusively.

Same on Prime 95, though you could try IntelBurnTest if you really want to be sure of stability.