1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5" to 3.5" hard drive converter

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Dizzy46, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Dizzy46

Dizzy46 Member

Hi, I'm trying to fix my mums toshiba portoge M100 laptop. It has some sort of virus or spyware on the hd, I'm not able to type, run virus or spyware killers and the left control button is ALWAYS on. even when i remove the button.

It wont let me type in a dos window so i cant use the format command. I tried starting up through my windows disc and formatting it that way but the only button that works is the F3 button which is the exit key.

I bought a 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive converter, removed the hdd from mums comp and tried to get it running on my pc so i can format it. For some reason the 2.5" drive wont show up on my bios no matter how its connected.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It could be that it needs a new keyboard at least. How old is the laptop? It was reviewed as a new model in Oct 2003. Maybe the keyboard has taken a pounding in the last 3 years?

Keyboard for Toshiba Portege M100 The part number is P000367200. Try searching for this part number on ebay.

You did jumper the laptop drive correctly (Master or Slave as needed)?

3. Dizzy46

Dizzy46 Member

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I jumpered the drive as secondary master. Had i hooked it up as primary master i would've had the same problem that i had on the laptop.

It's not the keyboard cause 2 months ago i installed a new copy of windows over the old copy (so i wouldn't lose the data) after that the keyboard worked fine for the next 2 weeks. I backed up all the data and figured it was fine and didn't bother with a clean installation of windows.

Maybe its time to get new hard drive
    Thanks again

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You can't connect a USB keyboard to the laptop?

Have you thought of getting & burning a MiniPE bootable cd rom image? I suppose you can't get into the BIOS with the onboard keyboard stuck like it is though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007