1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Hard Drives, Stock Case

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by mnp2005, Jun 7, 2005.

1. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

Hi, I have a v1.0 xbox, and i recently added a clear case with green LED's. Now I am thinking of getting a 200GB hard drive and a X3 mod chip, but i want to keep my stock hard drive inside the xbox too, and swtich between them, for when I want to play xbox live. My question is, will all this fit inside the case? If so, how?

Thanks,

mnp

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

get out the dremel and start cutting...it will be very difficult to fit a second 3.5" drive in there...you can go the way i did, but it will cost you quite a bit more since laptop hd's are more expensive...just make the switch, get a ide adapter for the laptop hd, a new ide cable, and just mount the laptop hd right beneath the dvd rom drive.

3. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Check out www.teamxtender.com for their product, it lets you add up to 2 more HDDs onto the Xbox. Though the Xbox will look bulky and not too physically attractive, but it gets the job done. I have the Xtender on my 1.0 Xbox with 2 250GB HDDs and the stock one. Easy to do too, only 3 wires to solder.

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

maxtor makes a nice thin 40gigger for pc....it's about 2/3 the thickness of a regular hard drive and would fit nicely under the dvd drive.

5. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

I dont want the extender, mdsup, can you please explain more, I dont want to use a latop hard drive, it's double the price for half the space.

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

If you can find or mod an IDE to have an extra device,you can just have a switch between the powers of the molex connecter to switch betweeen the hard drives. You would have to shutdown and switch the hard drive though,but it will work. You can also edit your bios to not recognize the dvd drive and just have two hard drive inside the xbox,but if you do that you better get used to ftping your games onto your hard drive all the time.

7. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

I found a mod with a swtich for 2 hard drives from llama, im just wondering how to fit both of them in my stock sized, clear case...

8. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i don't know if you can get a 3.5" drive under the dvd rom...but you can try, if you can't, you will have to do a bunch of cutting to get them to fit...that switch from llama will work, but it does not come assembled, you must assemble it when you get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2005
  9. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

mdsup, can you e-mail me or give me you're messenger name if you have one so we can talk?? Thanks, mnp

10. punqewe

punqewe Active member

like I said maxtor makes a THIN 40 gigger...that's about 2/3 the thickness of a regular hard drive. (that one will fit perfectly under the dvd drive) And yeah,there will be some cutting involved to fit ANY hard drive under there....other wise you can cut some plastic off the right side of the dvd drive craddle and set the two hard drives sideways next to each other on the right side of the case.

LIKE THIS
    [​IMG]

11. mdsup

mdsup Guest

that picture that punqewe has provided requires a bunch of cutting inside the xbox, and some very delicate cutting of the dvd drive casing...i would only recommend this to someone who is very good with a dremel etc...

12. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

13. punqewe

punqewe Active member

the wiring is the easy part,it's the fitting the two hard drives that's the hard part.

-@mdsup...I'm just giving him/her options......best let them choose what's too hard for themselves.

14. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

how did u do that?!?!
    it looks so complex!
    plz help, i wanna do mine like that

15. mdsup

mdsup Guest

@punqewe i understand that you are providing options and help...i was just telling him the gist of how that was accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2005
  16. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

can someone plz tell me how it was accomplished?
    i want to get working on this
    does anyone know a tutorial of fitting 2 in my xbox or something, this fourm is going nowhere

17. mdsup

mdsup Guest

well about all i can tell you is that the hd tray was cut(modified) so that the drives can lay in that fashion...the dvd rom casing was cut and removed.

i doubt you will find a tutorial for that exact mod, if there is one it would be at www.xbox-scene.com in the hardware/casemodding forum...you can prolly find some pictures that will help you.

18. punqewe

punqewe Active member

from what I saw on the other pics from that mod all that was done was a fabricated 'tray' to hold both hard drives and then only about 1/2" of the right side of the craddle was cut away. None of the actual dvd unit was cut.

ps the fact that the top of the dvd dive is cut away has nothing to do with the actuall mod being acomplished....I can see how that would make people wonder about trying this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  19. mnp2005

mnp2005 Member

punqewe, where did you find this mod?
    is there a trhead that explains how it was done?

thanks

mnp