1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 internet connections

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by dragnandy, Dec 28, 2007.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i have two internet connections (one with a usb and one with a wireless card). and im wondering if i can limit one connection for one program and the other for everything else. like when i have two connections, one is doing all the work and the other is not receiving or sending packets. i want one connection to be for like mozilla and aim and stuff, while the other is restricted to something like a bit torrent client.
    does anybody know how to do this?

2. thon0925

thon0925 Member

I have never heard of this being done, but it may be possible with some kind of advanced firewall.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

thank though. anybody else now?

4. bryguy12

bryguy12 Member

I've thought of this myself, as our one and only internet provider here just plain sucks. Hey, can I use two connections and double up my speed? Quick answer, after Google research, is NO. There are devices that allow something along this concept, but they are server hardware (such as by Cisco) not home user appliances. And, even having some specialized router that could connect to two connections at once would require you to be quite expert at setting up your PC with a VP (ie, second imaginary computer) to utilize the 'new' packet addresses, blah blah. Obviously, the cost of this server type hardware, and the lack of support programs ready-made, equals it'd just be cheaper to slap a second generic PC onto the second connection and have it dedicated to the process of your choice. Throw a NAD drive into the picture, and you've got an easy solution. "This is my P2P machine, and this one is my workhorse and browser. All the files are shared, though, on the network ready hard drive."