1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 iPod on same computer?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by TrevorUK, Feb 26, 2006.

1. TrevorUK

TrevorUK Member

Hi all.

I have brought an iPod (Video 60GB) and i am looking at getting another for somebody else in the house. My concern is that i cannot use them on the same computer or if i did how would it work. Would i need to install iTunes twice? Just that i would have thought it would register that there is already one on there.

Can somebody give me some help? Is it possible and would i have to do anything differently?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Hi Trevor, welcome to the forums.

There are two ways you can go about this..

The first is, you can both use the same iTunes and make seperate playlists. Then each of you can update the seperate playlists with your own selected songs.

The second way would be (assuming you are using PC) to make another user account in windows, which will give you both your own fresh iTunes which you can both use normally and independently of one another. (Note: you don't need to install iTunes twice ;)

3. TrevorUK

TrevorUK Member

Thanks for the reply Lethal.

I forgot to say in my haste that it will be a different iPod (Probably Nano) as she'd only listen to the music.

As for the music side, i think they would more than likely both have the same albums/songs on the player itself. So then i'm thinking it will be ok to use the same iTunes?

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

No problem whatsoever. :)

5. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

i just keep separate playlists and manually update song onto each ipod.

6. paulisded

paulisded Guest

My household has three Ipods (2 for me, 1 for my son). He has his own account in Windows, so his Itunes tracks are separated from me. But I use the same user account for both of my Ipods with no problems. I don't think I could do this if they were synced Ipods, but that is impractical (and physically impossible since between the three we have 140 gigs of Ipod drives).