1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 operating systems on different hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ybor, Jan 26, 2006.

1. ybor

ybor Member

I just got a 2nd 120GB hard drive and I'd like to know how to install a second operating system on it. I'm running XP pro on my primary hard drive and would like to install Windows media center edition on the new one so that I can use it primarily for my Xbox 360 media center functions like TIVO. Is this something that can be easily done so that I can select which hard drive to boot off of each time I power up? and if so will I be able to access data from both hard drives from either operating system?

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i do not thing you can dual boot with XP and media center, i know you can with earlier bversions of windows but not with mediacenter and XP.... soz couldnt be much help

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You can always purchase a Hard Drive Selector.

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I don't have media center. So I don't know how it looks like. I just have a question. Is the Window Media Center an operating system like Win98, Win2000 and winXP?

If so, Window Media Center is a newer version of Window XP, isn't it?

Well, let I guess. Window Media Center is Window XP which has Media Center software. If my guess is right, why dont you get Media Center software and intall in on your Window XP pro?

5. DarkGrif

DarkGrif Guest

simbple install xp on 1 after that just disable that drive in the Bios setup install the media center on the other (dont forget to select your boot drive) now once this is done just return to bios enable the 2 drive and everytime you want to boot on the other 1 just choose the boot priority and put it before the 1 you don't want to boot

not sur if this work by enabling the 2 at the same time but try 1 thing for sure if you can enable the 2 jus enable the 1 you want to boot on it

6. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

you will have no issues installing media center onto your 2nd hard drive. windows automatically creates a boot menu if there are 2 bootable drives in your system.

MCE is just another OS like win XP. it is basically XP Pro with a few add ons although you cant get media center by installing the add ons into XP pro.

Just install Media Center as you would any operating system... just boot from the install disk and put it onto your 2nd hard drive.

you dont have to do any messing about in the bios or anything like that just stick the cd in and away you go

7. ybor

ybor Member

Thanks you for the helpful tips. I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it works out.

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You will need to decide if you are going to make the seperate disks dynamic or basic disks.

If you make them both dynamic then you can dual boot. I know this works for XP pro, not sure about WMC, but I also know that XP home does not support Multi-Dynamic-Disks.

If forced to use basic with WMC then you will need to boot as follows:

When the new operating system is installed, you will need to decide which operating system you want to load when booting.
    You will have to go into the BIOS and select the order of the HDDs to boot from.
    By default the boot order will probably be floppy, Cd and then first HDD.
    You can change the HDD priority order to allow the BIOS to give priority to the second drive rather than the first one, but you also need to ensure that the first HDD listed to boot from is the one with the operating system you want to use.