1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Pass Divx, Directly from DVD

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by makatak1, Jan 16, 2005.

1. makatak1

makatak1 Guest

I have been using magic ripper which allows you to encode divx directly from dvd (saves you the step of copying to hard drive) but it is low qual one pass.

Any 2 pass encoders out there, easy to use that will encode from dvd?
    thanks

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think thats a bad idea.
    at least for the dvd drive.
    are you sure you want the drive to be used for a long time?

well it is a low quality one pass. that is fairly fast, but fairly evil quality.

for 2pass i would say rip it to HDD.
    by the way. xvid 1.1 is in beta 1 so you might want to try that. look for a compile here.
    http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
    (no compiles yet, but should be up soon)

or
    http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/

3. Kingd

Kingd Guest

makatak1: For one touch, use autogordianknot. Very easy and works well.

4. makatak1

makatak1 Guest

Thanks for the replies. AutoGK does not do 2 pass, and it requires you to rip to HD First. XMPEG seems to do the job!

mak

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

well i don't use autoGK, but i think it does do 2pass....

really. ripping the dvd to HD won't take long.
    and it save the live of the optical drive.

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Shiroh offers (as usual) good advice :)
    People amaze me because they want to run DVDShrink directly on the DVD! And now you wish to create AVIs in this fashion?
    Whether you do 1-pass (ugh) or 2-pass, you really need 2 HDs - one for the decrypted VOBs, and another for the AVI output.
    Then, one drive only reads and the other only writes ;-)
    Big, fast HDs with 8MB (or even 16MB) caches are inexpensive.
    Running Shrink directly on your optical drive is really, really hard on it. (Really.)
    BTW, GordianKnot and its little brother AutoGK both do 2-pass (or 3-pass) rips.
    I used to do 3-pass (overnight) until I got DivX Professional. Now, using the highest-quality compression setting 'Slow' I am able to max quality in only two passes.
    Typical 90 minute flick takes maybe 3 hours per pass, approx 10 frames/sec, using my hardware listed below.
    I just backed up Riddick (all 135 minutes of it) to one 700MB AVI, and it is beautiful to view, VERY good quality indeed.
    You guys: quit trying to do things faster and 'save steps', please!
    Quality is everything; speed is irrelevant.
    As long as you go to sleep at night, you can always wake up to a perfect AVI waiting for you in the A.M.
    Regards

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

8. makatak1

makatak1 Guest

Thanks For the replies!

I must respectfully disagree with you however. I just ripped Riddick using xmpeg DIRECTLY from the drive. 2 pass, the quality is amazing. Took only 3-4 hours on my p4 3.2ghz. I got this dvd burner for $30 after rebate, so a drive going bad is no issue, but i doubt it will. This is VERY convenient.

Xmpeg is VERY nice, just no automated AC3 support like dr. divx.