1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 questions here, Burning 2 movies to one disc, and dvd Shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by learnme, Nov 27, 2004.

1. learnme

learnme Guest

First I have Rudolph the red nose reindeer, and Charlie Brown's Christmas on my HD and I am trying to figure out if there is any way to burn them both to one DVD+R. They are both 25 minute movies so I am trying to save on discs. The other question is: I have dvd shrink and dvd decrypter that I use. When I use dvd shrink it takes forever, I mean like 6 or 7 hours sometimes. I used your guide and set it up like the directions said and I get great movies. Just to clarify the movies are great the time consumption is the problem. Is there something I did wrong or is it maybe because my computer is older. I have already had to replace one burner (thank god it was under warranty) because it quit working. Yes the dvd burner I have is a cheap one (khypermedia). I just wonder is it maybe being overworked and if so is there anything that I can do about it. Thank you in advance.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can do this with DVD Shrink by doing the following:

1) Open Shrink.

2) Click the Reauthor tab.

3) Use the browser on the right to find, then load your two titles.

4) Once you have the two loaded the process should be about the same as usual.

5) Don't yell at me if this was too simplified as I haven't done that in a while :p

What are your PC specs - processor speed, amount of RAM and so on?

For the next questions you may need to install Nero Info Tool and look at the information listed under the Configuration tab. Here's a link to the download:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

Is DMA enabled for your drive?

What position is the drive on it's IDE (master or slave)?

3. learnme

learnme Guest

I tried this and the problem is that no titles come up. Do you have any other suggestions. My files come up in my computer as .MDS files, are they supposed to be that way?
    Also, I have a AMD-K6 3D processor, 533 MHZ, and 248 MB RAM with WIN-XP.

I am not sure exactly how to find this out. I looked in my hardware config but the description is too vague, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Any and all help would be great, Thanks in advance!!

4. Nephilim

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This file is used by several different programs. It generally is found with an .ISO CD image file.You need to use ISO Buster or DVD Decrypter and rip those file to your hard drive before you can do anything with it. How did you get this file to your hard drive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  6. learnme

learnme Guest

I used dvd shrink to get them on my hard drive. There are actually several files: I00,IO1,IO2, and so forth and so on. Generally when I use decrypter to burn them the file that comes up as the source is a .MDS file. I thought maybe I had the configuration wrong so I used the guide to go back and make sure all the settings were right and they seem to be ok.

DMA is enabled but my drive is shown as secondary, is there away to change that?
    Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2004
  7. learnme

learnme Guest

Ok so right now I am using decrypter to burn this DVD image to my HD. Now I have never had to do that before and my movies are always x-cellent quality. Am I doing this only because I am wanting to burn two movies to the same disk, or should I be doing this every time, and I am really taking a guess here so should I be doing this (burning to HD) at all. Sorry to be a pain. I am pretty good with computers, but new to the burning scene. Appreciate all the help I am getting here, and thanks for your response in advance.

8. Nephilim

For that you need to open the PC's case and make sure the drive is on the end connector of the cable and not the middle connector. You'll also need to set the little two-pin jumper on the back of the drive to master. I'm assuming there's another device on the same cable as your burner - what is it?

Am MDS file is normally associated with Alcohol 120% - do you have that on your system? Are you ripping in File or ISO mode?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  9. learnme

learnme Guest

I am familiar with alcohol 120%, and do not have that any where on my system. How can I check to see if I am in file or ISO mode?

10. Nephilim

By default both Decrypter and DVD Shrink will rip in File mode for which you'll end up with a bunch of VOB, IFO and BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder.

Though from your earlier post:

It appears you have ISO images.

11. learnme

learnme Guest

OK I have played with this for a few days now and here is what I have found: My dvd burner is on the end of the larger cable, but there is no 2-pin jumper. Also I checked using the nero info tool and it says that my HD or C drive is the master?? Not sure if that can or should be changed??

Another thing I discovered was that the reason(or so I think)that I was coming up with MDS files is that I was in ISO write mode while uploading my dvd files. I switched to ISO read mode and what do ya know I got the ISO file I was looking for. However, the files were smaller for these two movies (rudolph,charlie browns x-mas). When I tried to do this with Spiderman 2 I came out with a MDS file again. Is it because my system is broken into FAT32 partions??

And last but not least. I have the two ISO files that I want to combine onto one disc, but when I try to re-author and go to retrieve them from my C drive they do not show up. Any idea what I am doing wrong?? I deleted the MDS files that were also made when the ISO file was made. Could that be why?

Once again thanks in advance!!

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok Learnme,
    Let me see If I can help you out. First of all if you are on a FAT32 file system you will not be able to do spiderman 2 or most any other movie in ISO mode because FAT32 will only recognize up to 3.99GB of a file it just wont store more than that. What you should be doing, and you might as well go ahead and do this for all your movies not just the ones you are combining.
    1. Rip the DVD to your HD using DVD Decrypter
    a. Open Decrypter go to "Tools" then "Settings"
    Go to the Tab that says "File Mode" and in the
    drop down box where it says "select files" Put
    "All" in there. Then hit "ok"
    b. Now select your DVD drive under "source"
    c. Of course this next step is assuming you already have your original DVD in your drive. If not then go ahead and stick it in there now.
    d. Ok now you should see all the files on the DVD darkened in. Now pay close attention where these files are going to go on your HD under "Destination" you can change that now if you want.
    e. OK now you can click on the "Decrypt" Button (where the CD is pointing at the HD)
    f. After you are done doing this you will have your whole DVD on your hard drive.
    you could continue and put all your movies on your HD this way. Which is what you should do if your HD is big enough. If it isn't then go ahead and reauthor and shrink them down one at a time using Shrink. Remember those files will still be on your HD so you are going to have to delete them after you have finished reauthoring them in shrink

Now to DVD Shrink we go
    1. Open Shrink
    2. Click on "Re-author"
    3. Now you will see a browser in your right window just browse to where your first movie is that was ripped using Decrypter.
    4. Now drag that bad boy over to the window on the left under "DVD Structure" It will analys the file (10sec maybe 30sec)
    5. Now you can get rid of all the unessasary crap on there (By using the "compression settings")like the foriegn lang and subtitles to make our disk look pretty when it plays in our DVD player.
    6. Repeat steps 2 thru 5 until you have all your movies in the left window.
    7. Now hit "Back Up" and run Shrink as you normally would. Of course you cant burn in Decrypter now because that only does ISO's so you need Nero or CopyToDVD

I hope this helps you out :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  13. viper1oo7

viper1oo7 Member

if i dont have nero or copytodvd but i have dvd santa? will that work?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sure DVD Santa is capable of burning into DVD format for you. It's not the best but it will work. I would recommend downloading CopyToDVD and give that a try it is free for 20 days and it works really well. here is the link to Copy2DVD http://www.download.com/CopyToDVD/3000-2242_4-10342429.html

Good Luck :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

15. viper1oo7

viper1oo7 Member

ok but im tring to put 2 movies on one disk? like home alone 1 and 2 on one disk but i cant figure it out?

16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

bbmayo,
    I did Spiderman 2 and I do all my dvd's in ISO using decrypter and shrink. I am using the FAT 32 file system. When you hit backup,I auto burn with decrypter and this creates the ISO image and you get an MDS file which is the movie. This gets you around the 4 gb limit of FAT32. That 4 gb limit is now a thing of the past this way.

17. viper1oo7

viper1oo7 Member

ok so if i have home alone and home alone 2 and want to put them on one disk? how do i use shrink to do this caz i can only copy one movie onto my hdd at a time. i can get the iso file and watch it but when i try to burn it wiht dvd santa or shrink it says unsupported video stream? please help

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Check out my easy to follow guide here
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105